Are laws more important than individual rights?

A forum for anyhing not game related.
stupeh
Emerald Rider

Post by stupeh »

Banana wrote: either you believe in a or b
god and consiquence or evoloution
The Archbishop of Cantebury himself said that creationism should not be thought of as an alternative to the theories of evolution.
~

Gandelf

Post by Gandelf »

Satyn wrote:Gandy, I dont know if its cos you feel pushed in a corner cos you cant give us any evidence or cos you cant think straight atm but that is the biggest crap i've read so far in this thread.

You're just saying that because you know I'm getting close to the truth.

What about Ian Huntley and what he did to those two girls? He wasn't religious.

stupeh
Emerald Rider

Post by stupeh »

Where are we actually going with this now? Has it turned into a "so and so who is a <insert belief type> did this" slanging match?
~

Gandelf

Post by Gandelf »

Xest wrote:ROFL, and I thought you were clutching at straws at the start of the other thread, now you've just completely lost the plot :p

Ahah... now I've clearly hit a nerve!

Ok, you're so clever... answer my question.

If you say that the facts of the Laws of Physics prove that God doesn't exist, then you must accept that religion is false, because it is based on the existence of God, who (according to you) doesn't exist.

If this is the case, then you must accept that the way mankind is today is directly the result of evolution.

So, if you believe that God doesn't exist, how can you possibly blame the evil acts committed by man on God and religion.

If religion is a misguided "theory", then it comes out of the brain of man, which has evolved.

You can't have it both ways. If religion is to blame, you have to accept that God exists, or, it's just man believing in a God when there is no God, which is a result of how man's brain has evolved to believe in such things.

If you don't believe in God, then you have to accept that evolution has made man what he is today.

So come on, put your money where your mouth is. If you don't believe in God then how can religion possibly be to blame? If you're right, then religion is a belief that has come out of human evolution. So all the evil in the world is nothing to do with religion but how man has evolved?

Kallima

Post by Kallima »

stupeh wrote:Where are we actually going with this now? Has it turned into a "so and so who is a <insert belief type> did this" slanging match?
I think the issue was whether religion made evil acts more or less likely, and whether the world would be a better place without it. Hence the discussion about the religious position of people like Hitler, but I've got a bit confused. Xest and Gandelf debate at a intellectual level that is either above mine or in a different dimension.
Banana wrote:i think the reason why so many people get annoyed when a religious person does that is because they teach one thing yet do another. its hypocritcical of them
If a non-believe did that then its bad but as they dont tell others its wrong to do it or put others down for doing it then theyre not being hypocritical.
Very very true.

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

stupeh wrote:Where are we actually going with this now? Has it turned into a "so and so who is a <insert belief type> did this" slanging match?
yup i sugest grabbing popcorn :)
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Thandruil
Emerald Rider

Post by Thandruil »

Gandelf wrote:You're just saying that because you know I'm getting close to the truth.

What about Ian Huntley and what he did to those two girls? He wasn't religious.
Dunno if he was religious or not....

but FACT is, when Satyn talks about the priests who do it, and as Nana already cleared out. THEY are the ones who tell us about the religion, they are the ones taking confessions, they are the face of the religion. BUT they are also the ones doing wrong.

Yes christians, muslims, non-believers, ... all rape children/women/animals...
BUT what we are talking about here are the priests doing it and getting covered by the church.

Oh and u tell Xest he doesn't answer ur questions, reread a few pages and tell me how many of my questions u've answered already. Seems to me ur trying to prove stuff/shite u don't even know half about.
Would really like to know how u would feel if u had a family member who got raped as young child by a priest.
Thandruil lvl51 Elf Ranger RR6L3 ML10 CL5 :thand:
Thand lvl51 Warden RR6L5 ML10 CL5:wave:
Vanara lvl50 Animist ML10
Extreme lvl50 Blademistress ML10

GM of Fallen Spirits :ranger:

Retired from DAoC now and started BF2142!

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Banana wrote:no i see where he is going.

but not sure if its right

either you believe in a or b
god and consiquence or evoloution

if you belive in a (god and consiquence) then all the bad evil things that happen in the world have a design and purpose and there is a reason for everything even if we dont know it.

if you believe in b (evoloution) then all the bad evil things that happen in the world happen because we're scumbags ^^
lol no, he's just strapped together a bunch of completely meaningless assumptions. Perhaps you should read what he said, it makes no logical sense whatsoever. He's incapable of understanding that religion is a set of ideas and that these ideas aren't necessarily true by saying that if you beleive that a group of people who follow a specific religion are responsible of bad things that you must automatically beleive in god. He further backs this up by saying that if you don't beleive in god then you must beleive that non-beleivers are too blame.

It's really not a difficult concept to understand that beleiving a religion exists doesn't automatically mean you beleive the ideas behind the religion are true. By your very own logic Gandelf, you must automatically beleive that because I don't beleive god exists, and hence by your reasoning I don't beleive religion exists that I must also beleive that this thread or any part of history never once mentioned the word Christianity because as I don't beleive god exists, I also don't beleive Christianity exists. Also by Gandelf logic, because you beleive that Christianity exists, unless you beleive in every god in existence then you must also automatically beleive that no other religion in the world exists meaning that there aren't really any muslims, sikhs and so on in this world.

Gandelfs logic makes beleif mutually exclusive such that it's not possible to beleive the existence of any other religious group unless we also beleive in their god. Let's face it, we all know how utterly nonsensical this idea is.

Again we see further reinforcement that religious beleifs are linked strongly to low intelligence levels, hence reinforcing their strength as a control tool for the stupid and hence why they are slowly losing strength as a control tool in areas of the world where average intelligence levels are increasing. Such a shame that averages allow for below par anomalies like certain people here. Fact is, the clever people use it as a control tool whilst the stupid just allow themselves to be controlled by it. Still, I guess on the plus side for them, being a sheep must be an easy life.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

Gandelf wrote:Ahah... now I've clearly hit a nerve!

Ok, you're so clever... answer my question.

If you say that the facts of the Laws of Physics prove that God doesn't exist, then you must accept that religion is false, because it is based on the existence of God, who (according to you) doesn't exist.

If this is the case, then you must accept that the way mankind is today is directly the result of evolution.

So, if you believe that God doesn't exist, how can you possibly blame the evil acts committed by man on God and religion.

If religion is a misguided "theory", then it comes out of the brain of man, which has evolved.

You can't have it both ways. If religion is to blame, you have to accept that God exists, or, it's just man believing in a God when there is no God, which is a result of how man's brain has evolved to believe in such things.

If you don't believe in God, then you have to accept that evolution has made man what he is today.

So come on, put your money where your mouth is. If you don't believe in God then how can religion possibly be to blame? If you're right, then religion is a belief that has come out of human evolution. So all the evil in the world is nothing to do with religion but how man has evolved?
thats not right..
my brain cant work out why its not right but .. thats not right :/
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Kabane
Emerald Rider

Post by Kabane »

can i shoot him in the name of god ? whome ive already proved existed
I see a red door and I want it painted black. No colours anymore I want them to turn black
I have to turn my head until my darkness goes

Return to “Off Topic”