Virginia Tech School Shooting

A forum for anyhing not game related.
Lairiodd
Emerald Rider

Post by Lairiodd »

Xest wrote:The issue isn't overall murder rates though, it's about gun crime because gun crime is one of the few methods of murder that can lead to massacres like this one.
Fair enough, but your stats were for actual murders. My point is that they don't tell the whole truth.
it took 4 people 4 bombs and months and months of planning to kill 52 people, yet 1 person in a messed up state of mind killed 32 by himself with minimal planning.
He was pretty 'lucky', the police seemed to be criminally negligent.

PS. Has anyone else downloaded the new Firefox? It seems to have a spell checker built into it.
Prydwen
Lairiodd Level 50 Nightshade and Legendary Grandmaster Smith (1065) check prices here
Lairirian Level 50 Mana Mentalist and Legendary Spellcrafter (TDD)
Lairgreybark Level 50 Arb Animist
Lairmindlock Level 50 Bard (TDD)
Camlann
Lairthall Level 35+ Friar

Stocking one 99% of most of the useful spellcrafting gems at Houses 3304 and 3306

Over 150 gems at 99% stocked

Heta
Emerald Rider

Post by Heta »

googlebar have had a spell checker in it for ages, haven't downloaded the new firefox tho. But google one works fine (when you bother to use it)
Woho! I got a 360 \o/

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

Lairiodd wrote:He was pretty 'lucky', the police seemed to be criminally negligent.
yea

2 people shot and they cannot find the gunman so they send out an email saying everything is okay...
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

*giggles*
told ya

Sun newspaper reports 'Cho spent hours watching wrestling on TV or playing violent computer games.
In one, Counterstrike, players chose to be terrorists or security services and shoot characters with "extreamly realistic" guns. Its makers boast "it is about as close as you'll ever get to saving the world - or distroying it"

So, hope y'all who play counterstrike make sure you dont go round killing people :p

Though when I went skegness, there were fake plastic guns for sale at the seafrount. Sure close up they looked fake and shot water but far away...
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Lairiodd wrote:He was pretty 'lucky', the police seemed to be criminally negligent.
You could say the same about our security services and the tube bombings, it's not as if MI5 didn't know they were involved in terrorism before hand, they just decided to take them off the watch list to prioritise elsewhere. I'm not convinced however that the police in the US really did that much wrong, they questioned the boyfriend of the girl who was shot because he was a known gun lover - to me that sounds like sensible policing, he's a good suspect. If they didn't know who they were looking for and the campus has 26,000 people on it, how were they to find the correct person - especially when there's seemingly no link between Cho and the murdered girl and guy? Even though Cho was known to police, he wasn't known for any kind of violence or gun crime, just sexual harassment type crimes - I don't think you can realistically guess that someone's going to go from taking up skirt pictures of two girls to massacring 32 people.

I don't think it's really something you can solve by better police work, if 20 people in 10 years have gone on a massacre in a country of 300million people how can you possibly figure out which ones it's going to be? They talk about a profile involving people who are depressed, lonely and so forth but I've seen companies where 50% of the workforce fits that bill.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

Xest wrote:They talk about a profile involving people who are depressed, lonely and so forth but I've seen companies where 50% of the workforce fits that bill.
Depressed & lonely probably fits about half the human race...
-
Paddock - L60 Male Man Hunter - SM Tailor
Moegren - L53 Male Man Captain - SM Weaponsmith GM Woodworker
Paddreth - L60 Male Man Minstrel - SM Jeweller GM Cook
Skyros - L57 Male Man Loremaster - SM Scholar GM Farmer
Pauncho - L60 Male Hobbit Burglar - SM Armoursmith
-

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

Xest wrote:You could say the same about our security services and the tube bombings, it's not as if MI5 didn't know they were involved in terrorism before hand, they just decided to take them off the watch list to prioritise elsewhere. I'm not convinced however that the police in the US really did that much wrong, they questioned the boyfriend of the girl who was shot because he was a known gun lover - to me that sounds like sensible policing, he's a good suspect. If they didn't know who they were looking for and the campus has 26,000 people on it, how were they to find the correct person - especially when there's seemingly no link between Cho and the murdered girl and guy? Even though Cho was known to police, he wasn't known for any kind of violence or gun crime, just sexual harassment type crimes - I don't think you can realistically guess that someone's going to go from taking up skirt pictures of two girls to massacring 32 people.
think lair means the responce.
2 people were shot and an email was sent to say everything is undercontrol.
so no one left and were in the classrooms to be shot again.
They should have said 2 people were shot - the gunman has not been found - close the classrooms until further notice.

I mean one classroom escaped purely by barricading the door (why no one screamed a warning is odd but...odd circumstances it would seem) he tried to get in but couldnt.
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Lieva wrote:think lair means the responce.
2 people were shot and an email was sent to say everything is undercontrol.
so no one left and were in the classrooms to be shot again.
They should have said 2 people were shot - the gunman has not been found - close the classrooms until further notice.

I mean one classroom escaped purely by barricading the door (why no one screamed a warning is odd but...odd circumstances it would seem) he tried to get in but couldnt.

It isn't as clear cut as that though.

We are talking about a University Campus whcih is the size of a small town. The police initially thought it was a "domestic", how often to towns get closed down because if a domestic killing?

There is also the costs to consider, which would probably run into millions of dollars which, had it only been a domestic, would have been wasted.

Hindsight is a wonderful tool, but I wonder how many people really would have closed doen the campus if they were in that position? I suspect very few.

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

i know i would have mentioned there was a shooting - the gunman not found but presumed domestic.

that way people would assume it was safe but know it might not be.
perhaps shuting the campus would be wrong but to say it was safe when it wasnt was asking for trouble really...

it is remeniscent of the 9/11 thing.
the first two planes went into the building
the third plane the hostages were told they wouldnt be killed or anything but they chose to die as they couldnt risk the terrorists lying.

Sure the campus did what they deemed right but well, if they had said the gunman isnt identified they may have saved more lives.
But like it has been said - hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Thing is though, being the age i am has kinda deillusioned me to how people in power opperate.
Imo they didnt tell anyone due to money and purely that.
Looking back though, how can you say a persons life is worth less than something (to quote charlie & choc factory) 'as common as money'
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Satyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Satyn »

Lieva wrote:.

Only reason why they got out is through the window. Their teacher baricaded the door with his body and got shot saving his students lives.
Fallen Spirits GM
Obscurum GM
E&E
satyn1:

Return to “Off Topic”