This sounds like an interesting read...

A forum for anyhing not game related.
Gandelf

Post by Gandelf »

Ovi wrote:It is also beneficial for international relations if we all use the same units, while it is all very well trying to hold on to cultures the more commonality between different countries / regions the more likely people are to get on.

..or that's what you'd think. The other week when European politicians agreed it was OK for Britain to continue to use Imperial units, one of the reasons behind their decisions was because the USA still use Imperial measurements. So you could say also that in this case, Europe felt it was beneficial for international relations and trade, for Britain to continue using the Imperial system. As long as the USA continue to use Imperial, then I can't ever see the Metric system taking over completely.

I can remember the Simpsons episode where this group of Freemasons sang a song and one line went, "We keep metrication down".

It's funny also, that even though we buy petrol/diesel by the litre, we still consider a car's fuel ecomony in miles per gallon.

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

Xest wrote:But that's nothing to do with the system used, that's to do with companies ripping us off. If you blame the change in system then you're doing exactly what the companies want you to do - you're taking the blame away from them and blaming some virtual entity that is the measurement system.

Well yes you could blame the companies but i prefer to blame the poeple who wrote out the rules to the metric system.
One company ripping us off is expected but every single company doing it? thats guideline mess ups :p
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Lieva wrote:Well yes you could blame the companies but i prefer to blame the poeple who wrote out the rules to the metric system.
One company ripping us off is expected but every single company doing it? thats guideline mess ups :p
No, again, that's businesses realising they can slip in what's effectively a cost increase without anyone blaming them. The very fact you've fallen for this demonstrates how effective it is!
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

all of them??
surely when they brought it in there must have been Pints will be now xamt ml?
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Lieva wrote:all of them??
surely when they brought it in there must have been Pints will be now xamt ml?
The companies decide what quantities they sell stuff in, the goverment doesn't govern that.

If one company goes "Hey we can skim a few ml off the top and save £x million" do you think the others are going to say "Oh that's naughty, how dare they!". No, they'll say "Hey we can skim a few ml off the top and save £x million".
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

but..i wanted to blame someone i knew of .. not a faceless corporation.
Go on let me blame the goverment too :)
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Return to “Off Topic”