Illinois baby obtains gun permit

A forum for anyhing not game related.
<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Bubba Ludwig may only be 10 months old, but he has already successfully obtained a gun licence in the US state of Illinois.
Bubba's father, Howard Ludwig, applied on his behalf after his grandfather gave him a shotgun as an heirloom.

Mr Ludwig said he had not expected to succeed, but he filled in the online form, paid $5 and the licence was his.

US gun laws are regularly the subject of fierce debate, renewed recently after April's Virginia Tech killings.

Gunman Cho Seung-hui was able to exploit a loophole in Virginia state law and obtain weapons despite having a history of mental illness. The loophole was later closed.

Technical problems

The licence includes a picture of a toothless Bubba and a squiggle that represents his best attempt at a signature.

In an article in the Chicago Sun-Times, Mr Ludwig, 30, said that he expected the application to be turned down.

Two rejections did in fact come, he said, but both related to technical problems - on one application he forgot to tick a box stating his son was a US citizen - rather than Bubba's youth.

His third attempt was rewarded with a state firearm owner's identification card (FOID), complete with details of Bubba's height, weight and date of birth.

'No age restrictions'

Illinois gun laws are said to be among the strictest in the US.

But Illinois State Police, who oversee the application process, said that they had followed the law in this case.

"Does a 10-month-old need a FOID card? No, but there are no restrictions under the act regarding age of applicants," the Associated Press news agency quoted Lt Scott Compton as saying.

Mr Ludwig said Bubba's gun would likely remain at his grandfather's house until he was 14.

"I'm not about to approve any unsupervised hunting or trap shooting for Bubba," he wrote in the Chicago daily.

"Still, I'm glad he was able to get his FOID card. It makes an adorable addition to his baby book."
Source:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6662213.stm

I'm speechless.

/Ankh

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

gee yknow i think if i ever have kids i must be planning on bringing them up incorrectly cuz not in my wildest day dreams would i ever plan on getting it a gun.

Definatly not parent material...

and named bubba

dont they realise thats a type of chewing gum??
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

tbh if I was American I'd probably bring my kid up with a gun too, that way he might accidently shoot me putting me out my misery of being an idiot American :p
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

umm
no one mentions a baby getting a gun licence in that page..
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Lieva wrote:umm
no one mentions a baby getting a gun licence in that page..

You don't read links that are posted? :)

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

I check the url you posted Ovi - there are no baby licence there (atleast not on that page)

And as nana said - Bubba?? ffs :P

/Ankh

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Silly forums, I guess I have my setting to more posts per page. It's the last post in the thread, so whatever page that is on ;)

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

[quote="Ovi"]Silly forums, I guess I have my setting to more posts per page. It's the last post in the thread, so whatever page that is on ]
It's okay Ovi, I saw it!
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

ahh see it now :)
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Return to “Off Topic”