Pointless Drivel

A forum for anyhing not game related.
Quinlan

Post by Quinlan »

Gitt wrote: Back later folks.. keep the abuse comming :D
But do tell me is your life really that bad?
finland:
holland:

Gitt

Post by Gitt »

*bell rings*
Quinlan wrote:But do tell me is your life really that bad?

Quinlan: Thanks for your concern. I don’t normally divulge personal (and irrelevant) details, but as you were kind enough to enquire..

I retired before the age of 30. I live comfortably, if not opulently, on my own private income and have recently moved to a sleepy little village in the beautiful English countryside. I also have almost unlimited time to study, travel and pursue my own hedonistic impulses… on the whole I would say my life is pretty good.

How about you?

Sharkith: Thanks again for your reply. I’ll make some effort, in my hung-over state, to respond to it in full.

I agree whole-heartedly that the moderators do a fantastic job of maintaining the forums and I am sure you will note that my original post not only thanked them for this but was also a request to make their lives easier.

However, healthy moderation is only a treatment of the symptoms and does not address the cause]

I am all for freedom of speech, if anyone has miss-read my post as a desire to enforce draconian censorship then I apologise but this is not my intention, allow me to explain..

Democracy is a wonderful thing, the right to freedom of expression is the greatest gift it has brought to us. However with freedom comes responsibility. Consistent abuse of any liberty can serve to fuel the fires of those who wish to take it away from us. If people take the time and care to act as their own censor then continued freedom is assured.

For this reason, society and communities of all kinds need rules and regulations to maintain order, a successful community makes provision for its populace to express and entertain themselves in their desired manner and in an appropriate place.

The Prydwen forum has a number of specifically designated areas to meet the desires of its users; Shout box and Private Messaging for public and personal conversations, Off-topic for posts unrelated to DAoC, Spam Central for posts that have no real function such as “My guinea pig isn’t well” or “Pointless Drivel” etc.

To follow your logic, if people should be permitted to post wherever they like and whatever they like then why the need for these separate areas or even for moderation?

Is it too much to ask that people show consideration by adhering to the guidelines of the community they asked to join?

Haarewin

Post by Haarewin »

Gitt wrote:I retired before the age of 30. I live comfortably, if not opulently, on my own private income and have recently moved to a sleepy little village in the beautiful English countryside. I also have almost unlimited time to study, travel and pursue my own hedonistic impulses… on the whole I would say my life is pretty good.
thats the life i want please!
im sure you deserve your success, but my god im jealous. :)
i don't have a sig.

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

Gitt wrote:*bell rings*

Quinlan: Thanks for your concern. I don’t normally divulge personal (and irrelevant) details, but as you were kind enough to enquire..

I retired before the age of 30. I live comfortably, if not opulently, on my own private income and have recently moved to a sleepy little village in the beautiful English countryside. I also have almost unlimited time to study, travel and pursue my own hedonistic impulses… on the whole I would say my life is pretty good.

How about you?

Sharkith: Thanks again for your reply. I’ll make some effort, in my hung-over state, to respond to it in full.

I agree whole-heartedly that the moderators do a fantastic job of maintaining the forums and I am sure you will note that my original post not only thanked them for this but was also a request to make their lives easier.

However, healthy moderation is only a treatment of the symptoms and does not address the cause]

I am all for freedom of speech, if anyone has miss-read my post as a desire to enforce draconian censorship then I apologise but this is not my intention, allow me to explain..

Democracy is a wonderful thing, the right to freedom of expression is the greatest gift it has brought to us. However with freedom comes responsibility. Consistent abuse of any liberty can serve to fuel the fires of those who wish to take it away from us. If people take the time and care to act as their own censor then continued freedom is assured.

For this reason, society and communities of all kinds need rules and regulations to maintain order, a successful community makes provision for its populace to express and entertain themselves in their desired manner and in an appropriate place.

The Prydwen forum has a number of specifically designated areas to meet the desires of its users; Shout box and Private Messaging for public and personal conversations, Off-topic for posts unrelated to DAoC, Spam Central for posts that have no real function such as “My guinea pig isn’t well” or “Pointless Drivel” etc.

To follow your logic, if people should be permitted to post wherever they like and whatever they like then why the need for these separate areas or even for moderation?

Is it too much to ask that people show consideration by adhering to the guidelines of the community they asked to join?

to be honest the notion of democracy you seem to promote is quite Platonist well we know that his reasoned justification of the just society looked more like a dictatorship. Underneath claims of 'with freedom comes resonsibility' lie the sorts of justifications used by the right in America for instance to curb civil liberties. Personally I think Starship Troopers makes the best joke out of Plato's The Republic I have ever seen.

So actually no I do not concur with your view of freedom and I would be dissappointed if many of the rather colourful people here decided to attempt to submit to your form of responsibility. You see thats just it how are we to follow your sitpulations other than to get you to define what you mean by responsibility and as soon as you do that you start to curb freedom and someones right to speak as they wish. The way you cite responsibility was eloquent of course and it makes for nice rounded reading but in the end if you were to clarify it you would have to start specifying what it might look like in practise. Ok so let me turn your idea on its head.

I could argue that to read a forum like this as a reader you have the responsibility to be reasonable and ignore the things that offend. Some could argue that the taking of offence is the first form of tyranny. However if you had to restrict the taking of offence then your freedom would also be curbed and we would not have had an interesting and at times amusing intersection.

So no I do not accept that freedom of speech involves responsibility because I think the notion of responsibility is a catch all for all sorts of controls. You might even eventually attempt to hide behind 'ethics' for example.

As for society and community and order. What is remarkable is that there is any order at all since given all of the views in the environment of society I am surprised that we can have stable systems like the economy and the law. However that order does not come from the control of societies members through some internalised form of rationality in the aim of the greater good - be this some unspecified form of responsibility. That old chesnut died a long time ago. What is interesting is that this community has a semblance of order despite its environment (in my view you and I and many of these very interesting people are the environment of that community not part of it). We have ways and means of communicating that somehow result in order despite all of our individuals complexities and that I find fascinating.

In your view society has 'rules' but if that is the case then you would have to explain where these are located? In my perspective all there is is observation on observation, the continuous unfolding of form on form. What continually amazes me is how the community and society acquire any semblance of stability.

Gitt wrote: To follow your logic, if people should be permitted to post wherever they like and whatever they like then why the need for these separate areas or even for moderation?

I did not make that claim and I am surprised that you would think I did. My logic does not imply that there should only be chaos at all. I am at a loss to see where you can find that in my post. Still to explain. When people communicate there is an interplay of form on form eventually some forms become stabalised whilst others are never used and they eventually fade away (when are we deleting the soul pact forum btw? ]what shocks me is why the odd bit of noise in these communications is so offensive to you.[/B]

Gitt wrote:Is it too much to ask that people show consideration by adhering to the guidelines of the community they asked to join?

You see there you go again appealing to new guidelines and rules in the desire for rational control surely you can see that there is almost a kind of snobbery in this view?

Why not chill out drink wine and coffee and enjoy the flavour of the multicentred forms of communication? All of the voices have somethign to add but I think you might find it comfortable that not all of the voices will be heard.

Gitt

Post by Gitt »

Sharkith wrote:to be honest the notion of democracy you seem to promote is quite Platonist well we know that his reasoned justification of the just society looked more like a dictatorship. Underneath claims of 'with freedom comes resonsibility' lie the sorts of justifications used by the right in America for instance to curb civil liberties. Personally I think Starship Troopers makes the best joke out of Plato's The Republic I have ever seen.

So actually no I do not concur with your view of freedom and I would be dissappointed if many of the rather colourful people here decided to attempt to submit to your form of responsibility. You see thats just it how are we to follow your sitpulations other than to get you to define what you mean by responsibility and as soon as you do that you start to curb freedom and someones right to speak as they wish. The way you cite responsibility was eloquent of course and it makes for nice rounded reading but in the end if you were to clarify it you would have to start specifying what it might look like in practise. Ok so let me turn your idea on its head.

I could argue that to read a forum like this as a reader you have the responsibility to be reasonable and ignore the things that offend. Some could argue that the taking of offence is the first form of tyranny. However if you had to restrict the taking of offence then your freedom would also be curbed and we would not have had an interesting and at times amusing intersection.

So no I do not accept that freedom of speech involves responsibility because I think the notion of responsibility is a catch all for all sorts of controls. You might even eventually attempt to hide behind 'ethics' for example.

As for society and community and order. What is remarkable is that there is any order at all since given all of the views in the environment of society I am surprised that we can have stable systems like the economy and the law. However that order does not come from the control of societies members through some internalised form of rationality in the aim of the greater good - be this some unspecified form of responsibility. That old chesnut died a long time ago. What is interesting is that this community has a semblance of order despite its environment (in my view you and I and many of these very interesting people are the environment of that community not part of it). We have ways and means of communicating that somehow result in order despite all of our individuals complexities and that I find fascinating.

In your view society has 'rules' but if that is the case then you would have to explain where these are located? In my perspective all there is is observation on observation, the continuous unfolding of form on form. What continually amazes me is how the community and society acquire any semblance of stability.

I did not make that claim and I am surprised that you would think I did. My logic does not imply that there should only be chaos at all. I am at a loss to see where you can find that in my post. Still to explain. When people communicate there is an interplay of form on form eventually some forms become stabalised whilst others are never used and they eventually fade away (when are we deleting the soul pact forum btw? ]what shocks me is why the odd bit of noise in these communications is so offensive to you.[/b]

You see there you go again appealing to new guidelines and rules in the desire for rational control surely you can see that there is almost a kind of snobbery in this view?

Why not chill out drink wine and coffee and enjoy the flavour of the multicentred forms of communication? All of the voices have somethign to add but I think you might find it comfortable that not all of the voices will be heard.

pwned :p

<waves white flag and exits stage right>

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

So in other words, you're just lonely as fuck :p
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Gitt

Post by Gitt »

Xest wrote:So in other words, you're just lonely as fuck :p

Just the way I like it :P

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

gitt

i want your life tbh :p
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Gitt

Post by Gitt »

Banana wrote:gitt

i want your life tbh :p

It's not all roses Nana... I can't order a pizza for a start :D

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

you cant?
why not??

(but i dont like pizza anyway so i still want your life :P )
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Return to “Off Topic”