Looking for military hardware information

A forum for anyhing not game related.
Xest
Emerald Rider

Looking for military hardware information

Post by Xest »

I've been trying to get hold of information on military hardware of pretty much all sorts from aircraft to armour to air defence systems and such. Ideally I need it categorisd on a per country basis and could really use Russian, US, European, Chinese and Middle Eastern nations hardware. Also 3-view and photo images would be a major help.

I've looked around but there doesn't seem to be anywhere near the amount of information they used to be, it seems to be very spread out. Even the Jane's books seem pretty crap nowadays compared to the one I got about 10 years ago, they have an online database but at £1,800 per section (i.e. aircraft, artillery/armour, ships) well, no thanks :p

Edit: Wikipedia seems to have some info but still lacks many images and 3-view diagrams, at least it has some inventories of various armed forces though.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

http://www.israeli-weapons.com/israeli_weapons.html

I think I've got more somewhere, but I always keep forgetting to save my urls when I reinstall.

edit: You can proberbly find some information about chinese forces on this page
http://www.chinasite.com/Military.html

edit 2: Actually, janes is still the best there is. But to gather all military information on one site takes alot of work - thats why cost so bloody much :(

/Ankh

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Cheers Ankh, I'm just amazed that no one's created a personal or non-commercial venture such as a wiki for military stuff or anything. Perhaps it's because the world in general is tighter on security now and finding information on this kind of thing just isn't like it used to be, as I say I remember 10 years ago as a kid I always used to be able to find some fantastic info on this kind of thing.

Basically just need a bunch of reference material to create some 3D models from each countries armour and airforce etc.

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

I think most armored vehicles/boats/submarines/planes are already avaible in 3d format tbh.

/Ankh

Kallima

Post by Kallima »

Xest wrote:I've been trying to get hold of information on military hardware of pretty much all sorts from aircraft to armour to air defence systems and such. Ideally I need it categorisd on a per country basis and could really use Russian, US, European, Chinese and Middle Eastern nations hardware. Also 3-view and photo images would be a major help.

I've looked around but there doesn't seem to be anywhere near the amount of information they used to be, it seems to be very spread out. Even the Jane's books seem pretty crap nowadays compared to the one I got about 10 years ago, they have an online database but at £1,800 per section (i.e. aircraft, artillery/armour, ships) well, no thanks :p

Edit: Wikipedia seems to have some info but still lacks many images and 3-view diagrams, at least it has some inventories of various armed forces though.
Being forum god is not enough, he really is going for world domination in real life!

Quinlan

Post by Quinlan »

Kallima wrote:Being forum god is not enough, he really is going for world domination in real life!
:bow:
finland:
holland:

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

<ankh> wrote:I think most armored vehicles/boats/submarines/planes are already avaible in 3d format tbh.

/Ankh
Generally very expensive or far too high poly for my needs though :(

Also, I find pulling art/models from various sources leaves you with a very inconsistent theme between content.

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Kallima wrote:Being forum god is not enough, he really is going for world domination in real life!
Well I figure I should know my enemy before launching an assault on China, Russia, America, Europe and the Middle East simultaneously :p

Heta
Emerald Rider

Post by Heta »

Make war, not peace!
Woho! I got a 360 \o/

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Xest wrote:Generally very expensive or far too high poly for my needs though :(

Also, I find pulling art/models from various sources leaves you with a very inconsistent theme between content.
True, but they are still kick ass models :)

/Ankh

Return to “Off Topic”