What are those things called...

A forum for anyhing not game related.
Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

Xest wrote:Where you put plants in and they have ultra violet lights to be used as fake sunlight. Can also get ones with temperature controls and stuff, also where can I get one.

I thought they were called terrariums but they're for lizards/insects/whatever it would seem, but then so are faunariums and vivariums. I've found plenty of these but they're big glass tanks like fish tanks and a bit overkill for plants.
no it is a terranium but seems to be a whole enviroment in a jar kind of thing..

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/terrarium.html

also

http://beginnersguide.com/aquariums/ter ... rarium.php
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Gandelf

Post by Gandelf »

"Terrarium" is the correct name for what you're after I think. They can be used for both plants and insects. I thought that's what it was, but I checked:-

http://www.google.co.uk/search?num=100&hl=en&defl=en&q=define:terrarium&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title

As far as I know, there isn't a special name when they are rigged with ultra-violet lamps.

You reminded of a great film called "Silent Running", where this spaceship has eco-domes containing the last plants from Earth. It has these three little robots, which the botanist programs to look after the plants. I remember them having lamps placed around the dome to provide light for the plants.

Anyone else remember the film? Must have been 70s/80s.

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

ya i remember that.

theyre ordered to distroy the eco domes so the guy kills his fellow astronauts and makes sure the robots care for the domes and sends the domes on their way.

It was the fact it was so believeable which made it a tragedy...
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Gandelf wrote:"Terrarium" is the correct name for what you're after I think. They can be used for both plants and insects.

...and snakes, lizards, frogs etc etc...I know, ive got 30-40 of them myself :)

/Ankh

Satyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Satyn »

Last summer there was a bird that must had died in my chimney and it caused a massive fly attack in my livingroom, they came through my stove. I bought those fly sticking papers first, that took care of the big part but still to many left. I went to the shop to buy one of those UV lights with bars around that, so the flies would get drawn to it and then get electricuted at the bars ... no luck there, cos the flies didnt give a damn about the light. I then left my flat for two days and had it sprayed with stuff, that got rid of most of them and then i still had 2-3 hardcore flies left but i put my shoe on those.
So if you have any better ideas on how to get rid of flies please tell me cos i've had it two summers in a row now.
Fallen Spirits GM
Obscurum GM
E&E
satyn1:

Gandelf

Post by Gandelf »

Satyn wrote:Last summer there was a bird that must had died in my chimney and it caused a massive fly attack in my livingroom, they came through my stove. I bought those fly sticking papers first, that took care of the big part but still to many left. I went to the shop to buy one of those UV lights with bars around that, so the flies would get drawn to it and then get electricuted at the bars ... no luck there, cos the flies didnt give a damn about the light. I then left my flat for two days and had it sprayed with stuff, that got rid of most of them and then i still had 2-3 hardcore flies left but i put my shoe on those.
So if you have any better ideas on how to get rid of flies please tell me cos i've had it two summers in a row now.

You need to get your house fumigated. I'd contact whatever authority is in charge of pest control. They use a sort of firework, that when lit creates a cloud of gas in your house. Because it's smoke it gets everywhere and kills all the flies. You will have to go out of the house for 24 hours, but it's very effective. The only other thing is to get the chimney swept, if you've not done so already.

Gandelf

Post by Gandelf »

Lieva wrote:ya i remember that.

they're ordered to distroy the eco domes so the guy kills his fellow astronauts and makes sure the robots care for the domes and sends the domes on their way.

It was the fact it was so believeable which made it a tragedy...

Yes, it made me sad too.

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Satyn wrote:Last summer there was a bird that must had died in my chimney and it caused a massive fly attack in my livingroom, they came through my stove. I bought those fly sticking papers first, that took care of the big part but still to many left. I went to the shop to buy one of those UV lights with bars around that, so the flies would get drawn to it and then get electricuted at the bars ... no luck there, cos the flies didnt give a damn about the light. I then left my flat for two days and had it sprayed with stuff, that got rid of most of them and then i still had 2-3 hardcore flies left but i put my shoe on those.
An army of venus fly traps.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Satyn wrote:So if you have any better ideas on how to get rid of flies please tell me cos i've had it two summers in a row now.
Best way is to take them one by one using Bolas!

/Ankh

maxis

Post by maxis »

This place sells everything you'll need for your "tomatoes"

http://www.hydroponics.co.uk/acatalog/O ... rs_46.html
ImageImage

Bitey: RR2 Valey
Moozah: thid ranger & lgm tailor
+ others

Return to “Off Topic”