How did we do ?

Moderator: Aran_Thule

Belisar
Emerald Rider

How did we do ?

Post by Belisar »

Thought I would make some [ooc] comments about our performance this evening. Nothing nasty - just a few things to bear in mind or think about and discuss.

Overall, after a slowish start I think we did ok.

Whilst we have not run as a group before we are lucky in that we all have some RvR experience and therefore should know what to do. We did not stand up to the likes of Alaron's group, but perhaps we should not really be expecting to. We won a few fights and even when mixed up with the zerg did quite nicely.

I know Gwenn and Shark have been getting a fair bit of healing experience recently and been working together a bit and I thought that showed - the healing seemed real nice and no doubt SP and Wyst got a few timely heals in as well.

I think we could work better on picking targets and assisting. There was a few times when I was on a healer but had no support. Often the healer kites away at which time I use my root (ML ability), this roots them but stuns me. If there is no one else on the same enemy then the root and stun wear off and we are back to kiting again. If there are 2 or more of us on them then the root is effectively a death knell as far as they are concerned.

Assisting is also key in getting a quick kill in. I am a strong believer in getting a kill in as fast as possible. Several of us hitting the same enemy often uses up DI fast, keeps the healers focussed on the one we are hitting and draws enemy tanks back to support (except for the really good groups who tend not to lose their target).

There was also one incident in the tower where we almost let Alaron's DI bot escape. I stuck to him which actually was a bad move as he managed to lose me running up the stairs. He ran past the rest and would have got away if not for SP mezzing him and Fern finishing him off.

Other than that I think we listened well and generally worked well together. Tardaad did well working out what I meant by "back door" and coming to help at the back of the tower. I did note some nice nukes from Anghar and Fern and SP mocing the room was a nice move at the MG when it was full of mids.

Other than my lag we managed to stick to each other pretty well. Hhhmm actually there was prolly another occasion when I was chasing a kiting healer and got out of heal range so you all did well other than me.

Not sure what you all thought - I think we improved as the night went on and it shows some good signs for the future, not only from earning rps but also having some good fun.
Brain cells come and brain cells go but fat cells live forever !

Currently playing Hib (ofc) on Uthgard

Wyst
Emerald Rider

Post by Wyst »

Well I had Immense fun

I always tend to be a bit self critical mainly due to hindsight being perfect and me showing my age in the heat of the moment <grins>

On a general note, I agree with Beli that it did show that Gwen and Shark have been working together previously. One thing I did note, which isnt really a criticism, was that they are used to setting up quite a way back from the potential battle arena when in the open field. As I say this isnt a criticism, just that we may need to alter what the rest of us do to remain in healing range etc, something I am conscious that I have a habit of not doing relatively frequently.

Having spent more time BGing druids, I found it more challenging BGing a caster, mainly as I need to move in unison and keep a closer eye on all the action. I am fairly sure there were a few times where Fern was wondering where I was and vice versa. As the solo BGer, I also found I regularly had to decide if I should be elsewhere BGing someone else or staying with Fern. With practice I think I can improve in this area, but it is easier to switch the guard over when we stay tighter together ( obviously not too tight tho).

Difficult to tell how effectively the assisting was working from my perspective, but again practice will probably help.

I found SP incredibly hard to keep track of but this is undoubtedly more of an issue with myself than anything SP was doing, but it probably did lead to slow /stick and response times.

I am a firm believer that there is no real shortcut to a successful group and playtime together has more benefit than most other influences as you learn how people will react etc, so I am looking forward to next Monday already, which gives me a week to get those awful boots off Sharkella <grins>
Wyst Fullthinker 50 Warden ML10 BM RR8+
Vilcleft Cullthinker 50 BM ML10 BL RR5+
Ydrys Bard ML10 Soj RR4+
Hegglion 50 Voidy M10 convoker RR3+
Grusalug Hero, brainless ML8 WL RR3+
Cwmblyss MotherofWyst ML10 Conv RR2+
Ydryst Darkside screamer ML10 RR4+
Arnfiorgrit Valewalker ML8 RR3+
Molarbfloem Druid ML10 Perfector RR6+
Quickflick NS ML5 RR3+
Some others of lesser note on other servers of no consequence

All now asleep and probably forgotton

Belisar
Emerald Rider

Post by Belisar »

Wyst wrote: One thing I did note, which isnt really a criticism, was that they are used to setting up quite a way back from the potential battle arena when in the open field. As I say this isnt a criticism, just that we may need to alter what the rest of us do to remain in healing range etc,
Did not notice this myself. I tend to blow through the main force looking for the healers who lurk behind or the casters who also tend to be toward the back of any group. As a result there is always a risk of me moving out of heal range.

Trouble with healing is you are never sure quite who has healed you and how (spread, insta or single), all you see is the healthbar go up and then you breath a sigh of relief. From my perspective I did not notice any lack of heals due to range (other than through my own stupidity).
Wyst wrote: I found SP incredibly hard to keep track of but this is undoubtedly more of an issue with myself than anything SP was doing, but it probably did lead to slow /stick and response times.
You'll probably find this will get better. I tend to target and find the bard as soon as a fight is over. I will not always stick but hang close looking for more inc and trying to stay out of ae mezz range until I hear the call to move.

Same when we stop for any reason, spread a little and keep the bard in my target window while I pan around, every now and then I face the bard to ensure I have not been left behind.

Use of vent may well help hear as well, far easier to hear his calls than for him to type them. Even if you have no mic, just listening to the bard's requests to stick speed the process up.

Aran_Thule

Post by Aran_Thule »

it was a laugh, we killed Alaron once and gave them a fight which wasnt an instant wipe which was great.

A few things that i noticed which im sure we can improve on but i think thats what will come from practice.

Thought we did well on the tower takes, might be due to us having been doing them a lot before, probably right about needing ram, unless we have fools bows in tow.
Need a bit of practice with wyst bodyguarding <grin> a couple of times we played ping pong, spotting the other wasnt there and running to them at the same time they ran to us.
When it did work it worked well think we need more practice of dragging the tanks to me when im going boom.

Im guilty of not assisting as well as i should but i had trouble tracking some people so normally ended up dealing with the nearest.

The milegate worked well in clearing the mids in the room, even if we were a bit slow in following SP in.

Sorry for constantly asking for celadon/celemacar/smurk to be enhanced, but it makes a big differance, when using ML9 on friend she was hitting for over 600.

For a first try i thought we did great and it was fun, looking forward to next week.
Aran Thule, Epic Sniper and Sojourner, Guild leader of the Artisans of Willow(roleplay guild)

Anghared
Emerald Rider

Post by Anghared »

It was for the most part enjoyable although my lack of experience showed at times I like to think that as I left I had learned something.

At times out there it was just chaos and bedlum to me and picking the right targets and then what to do about them became a haze at times but the more i get out there the better and clearer it will become.

One thing I did notice is that my Qbars need re setting as much of what I thought I needed I didnt and vice versa <sighs>

Big thanks to the healers for their heroic efforts at healing the most squishy one and to SP for his patience <grins> and overall after a slow start I think we did ok for a first time.

Now who asked for the Pink enamel remover ?
Anghar Elven Dancer and wine drinker
Yarisshel Ranger and poor shot
Varisshel Full of Enchantments
Ismad Harlequin Keeper of the Magic Log
Anghared Baker of Gwenneddes BOOM cake
Feeney Insomniac Legendary Tailor
Garsshel Into the Void

ARTISANS OF WILLOW

Belisar
Emerald Rider

Post by Belisar »

Picking the right targets is one of the hardest jobs imo.

I guess one thing we should do is agree if we are going for healers or casters first. My preference would be casters as they often have less protection and therefore eat into the DI quicker. Also while you are on them they cannot be hurting you. However that does need a good assist so the damage outweighs the heals they get.

Other option is to split and have tanks supporting each other on one target and casters supporting each other on a different one.

Perhaps we need to experiment with both to see which works best.

As for the q-bars - I can sympathise. I have different q-bars for RvR than PvE and even then there is always a time when I think "oh my gosh if only that skill was not 3 q-bars away."

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

I had a great laugh, nice relaxing and very enjoyable. I honestly know very little about tanking so I can't comment on that side of things. As for healing just so you know. Gwennethe has a huge power pool and spread heals a lot. I have a sensitive power pool and so I use the two spec heals a lot.

Gwennethe therefore keeps the whole group going up and when you see all heal bars moving up chunk by chunk it is likely that your being healed by Gwennethe. I always try to get heals into the person damaged the most and I am sure Gwennethe will do that as well it is just she is much more able to support the whole group. So as a secondary healer I basically choose my target and try to keep them standing.

If you see the groups health increase and yours doesn't your out of range and need to get back.

Each fight I am fairly sure that Gwennethe hangs back and fop's I always run through the fight to the opposition's support - set Goggy on one of the healers and often casting roots to interrupt. Then I am usually healing a lot and if things start to go well I can switch back to interrupting healers with disease and single target root to stop kiting. I do this because I have discovered it is a mistake to give away too early that your a healer.

On the whole we did well of course things could improve - I could not stress enough that Ventrilo is superb and makes life so much easier. So we should try to be chatting next time.

One last point. I like taking towers and bringing out the enemy, what I think we should do a lot more is take the tower then run some distance away and wait to see if there is a response. Once the flames are up we should hit the enemy from behind - they always catch us like that. If we do this there is a likelihood that often two people can be down before they even know we are coming. I know this because it has happened me so many times. You also have the added bonus that they cannot get into the tower whereas we can should things get rough. So lets try this sometime - the Mids always respond to tower takes so I feel strongly we could experiment on them a bit perhaps.

Otherwise I am very pleased to be part of this group. :)

A big thanks to Seanpaul for his patience and sterling Barding I know he was very tired.

Sharkith
Na Fianna Dragun

Karak-Eight Peaks, Kiera ze Witch Hunter

Eve online - Kaminjosvig.

Kallima

Post by Kallima »

Always nice to kill Alaron. <grins>

Practise helps a lot, so the important thing is to keep having fun, keep going and we will get better.

In an open field roaming fight when there is nothing else to hide behind then druids have to hide behind the group. A portable tree would be nice for solving this problem. <grins>

Actually compared to the odd druid I've met Gwennethe and Sharkella stay pretty forward and close to the action. Gwennethe will try and be behind the group because if she is at the front then she will be too interrupted/dead to do any healing. Sharkella may well be further forward if she is in attack mode.

As Shark says, Sharkella will be doing more strategic heals on whoever is in real trouble, Gwennethe uses single target heals when it looks reasonable to do that, but will often be hammering in spread heals to cover the whole group. This is a good combination. Gwennethe is set up for power, would like even more power of course. <grins>

When things are nasty, Gwennethe is usually either chain healing, mezzed, paralysed or saving her skin with nature's womb, so not in a great position to move much. She can't cast a heal spell when running so has to time moving carefully and hope no-one dies while she does it. If the group moves forward then she will try and follow keeping the group in heal range. If one person gets too far from the group then they may well get out of heal range. If you are dead in the middle of the enemy or especially the other side of them you may have to rest a few minutes since it may be hard to get even a perfect recovery rezz in without being fried.

If Gwennethe is being hit over the head by a tank, instead of running she will MoC2 if she can and keep healing. This keeps helping the rest of the group while hopefully also healing herself enough to stay alive. It really annoys the tank hitting her too when he sees the druid keeping healing. If things are bad with multiple tanks she uses natures womb, which means they heal her while hitting her for a few seconds, but it stuns her so she can't move or do anything. Sometimes either or both of these confuses the enemy enough that they give up and leave her alone. In any case there is a chance for someone to BG her or the group to defend her. It does mean that she can't run to the person with BG, but on the other hand she is at least standing still to be bodyguarded. <grins>

Font of power is a very slow and easily interrupted spell to cast. If we get one up then it will be at the back. It is often never used, but its an insurance policy if there is time to cast it at the beginning of a fight when DI is up. If a fight lasts a while and castors and healers are out of power then they can pull back to it. It can also help a lot if more enemies arrive.

I think at least once last night the group got split running out of enemy TWF. I'm not sure there is a real solution to that particular situation. If the group is too scattered, maybe we try and rally on the bard if he is alive. If we are moving and chasing in a zerg then I tend to try and keep near the bard.

Kallima

Post by Kallima »

Aran_Thule wrote:Sorry for constantly asking for celadon/celemacar/smurk to be enhanced, but it makes a big differance, when using ML9 on friend she was hitting for over 600.
You will have to keep asking for this sometimes. If a group member gets rezzed they are on my list to enhance as soon as I can without letting someone else die. I have to try and slip the enhancements between heals or be sure Sharkith is aware I am casting enhancements and covering heals. I probably won't be aware that Fernglade has had to resummon one of his assistants so they won't be on the list unless you tell me.

Oh and by the way I noticed some people behaving very nicely when rezzed during the tower take, just quietly waiting by Gwennethe for a couple of moments so she could enhance them when she had the chance between heals. It helps a lot not having to chase people when she has to cover oil heals. If you find you aren't enhanced after a while, or are missing one druid spec enhancement then ask. Its possible its got lost in the mayhem, and particularly one missing enhancement probably means a spell got interrupted and I didn't realise.

Buff strips and near sight you have to ask Gwennethe to fix. She has little chance of spotting those unless she is doing a general check of everyones buffs. Remember in towers that Gwennethe needs to be able to see you to cure nearsight and poison. Group cure disease works wherever you are.

Taardad
Emerald Rider

Post by Taardad »

It had a lot of fun yesterday..

But of course I made numerous mistakes <grins>. I'll start with getting kited out of the healers' reach wich happened more often then I'd like. I figure that trying to keep Belisar's target will help me do a bit better there.

From previous posts I make that Wyst is burdened with the guarding and such and that me and Belisar concentrate on killing casters and healers? Just to have it confirmed <grins>

Another thing that happened (once or twice) is that I escaped a mezz with the GOLM charge but Belisar didn't (correct me if I'm wrong). So should I then head for the nearest casters then and start slamming and debuffing and move to the next, or just concentrate on one an try to kill it? The last will have me being kited I figure since my damage ain't what it used to be with the s/s.

Then I have Static Tempest 1, should I use it on the possible tanktrain or on the casters in the back? St 1 has a 3 (or 5 sec) delay before first stun so it might be easier to trap casters with it since they will be less mobile then the tanks.

Things I will certainly do next time is assist Belisar better then yesterday and don't get lured out of reach. :cheers:
Taardad the champion of the Artisans Of Willow

Return to “Aran's Monday FG”