TBC first impressions

Home for our World of Warcraft players on prydwen.net
Heta
Emerald Rider

Post by Heta »

Satyn wrote:know the feeling, i've got 19G now and i'm soooo happy with that, i had to do a lot for it :D

:o
Woho! I got a 360 \o/

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

I finally got to play some WoW for the first real time since the expansion, so here is my first impressions...

Hellfire Peninsular is "easier" than the 50-60 areas were. Hopefully this will change in the higher zones, I was hoping for at least an equal challenge to Silithus. Judging by the speed people have been levelling (28 hours being the quickest!) I do think the whole expansion is too easy, but I will reserve judgement on that until I have experienced the full trip to 70 :)

The skill changes, first time I've really played since they were introduced too, certainly help my Druid lots. I can solo much easier as Feral than I coudl before, and feral wasn't too shabby to start with! If I am farming mobs at my level or a level lower I don't need to swap out of cat to heal. I could also comfortably solo 3 mobs of my level in bear form, and manage 4 when I got careless and got adds. I guess this is one reason Hellfire feels easy, not the only reason though :)

Shattath City is interesting, haven't worked out which faction I'm going to work with yet though as it seems access to some NPCs may be blocked depending on which faction you side with :o. It's nice having the portals to the other 3 Cities of the realm, pity there isn't a portal the other way though.

Some nice touches with the quests, like the bombing runs, but nothing earth shatteringly different for most of them.

The biggest change, not decided whether I fall on the good or bad side of this one, is the equipment levels. I spent a fair while in a raiding guild, running 4-6 raids per week, rushing home to be on time for the start etc. The time was split around 3 characters, but most of my gear was T1, a little T2 a couple of AQ40 drops and the rest made up of epic drops / quest rewards. I have only got to level 61 and I have seen green equipment better than a lot of my kit, and seeing what others have spammed in guild chat it won't be long before all of my kit can be improved by dropped greens.

It's good in the fact that everyone is again starting almost from the same level, those of us with good level 60 gear get a bonus while levelling, but once we get to 70 everyone will be starting with pretty much the same gear. The bad side is that I feel a lot of the time I spent raiding has been wasted, although that could be good in the fact that it will be an disincentive for me to raid again :)

Overall it's nice to have more areas to explore, but nothing really new to attract anyone who didn't like the original game for whatever reason :)

Heta
Emerald Rider

Post by Heta »

(28 hours being the quickest!)
this person hade ~50 ppl killing mobs he tagged
Woho! I got a 360 \o/

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

its actually a pretty kewl achievement :)

hes leveling his shammy at a normal pace now :p
but was very well done :)

ive decided i dont like it much :(

i keep dying almost constantly :(
normally wouldnt bother me but the fact i die to mobs that insta spawn behind me is rediculous..

and i hate the fact i have to search for the mob as everyone is now in my zone due to having time off with a cold so all the mobs/quests are horribly camped..

and i logged yesterday due to a stupid camera bug.
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Heta
Emerald Rider

Post by Heta »

All my friends are now 70 now and waiting for me to get 70 aswell so we can start doing the higher instances :(

dinged 67 yesterday atleast so soon there
Woho! I got a 360 \o/

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

2 peeps in our comm are 70 now
most at about 64.
ive given up :(
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Argyleyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Argyleyn »

They needed to level the item game again for a variety of reasons. First of all, highend raider gear was getting out of control compared to the average joe's gear so they complained about pvp a lot. Second, you couldn't recruit anymore if you were a high end guild because the people who had the necessary gear and attunements done were like 20 on each server. No point taking tier 1 people in naxx.

All in all though, hellfire peninsula has that effect. I got most of my upgrades there and not much from the other zones, perhaps 1-2 upgrades from each. I am still wearing my full tier2 gear when I heal (priest). I have found some blues better for healing, but the fact is that without level 70 enchants in play yet, they are really not going to take my old gear's place yet. So I wouldn't say you are swamped in upgrades and it's all gone to waste.

I did karazhan yesterday for the first time and we killed 4 bosses, that was awesome. It's really an instance with a great theme and atmosphere. The only things I haven't tried yet are arenas, eye of the storm and 25 man raids. Half the expansion that is :p But everything else so far is awesome, apart from shadow labs having a ridiculous amount of trash.
Argyleyn, ex raven ardent prime prestidigitist.

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

I know why they did it, I just think that they may have over-done it.

T1 (lvl 60) Epics should be better than level 61 Blues, let alone Greens. At least for any new characters it'll make the pain of missing the level 40-man instances a lot less.

Personally I'm making the most of the good gear to upgrade my Feral kit more than healing gear, that'll be what helps me level and solo the most, can worry about healing gear again when I hit 70 :D

Shi
Emerald Rider

Post by Shi »

blizz did this to make ya buy the xpack, nothing else, surely not because of the gap between gear or complains.
all they care is money, not rly what ppl think :)
if they cared a lil they would not let ppl who dont buy tbc rott in same BG bracket (60-69) as all TBC owners to be even more screwed....

it's still nice, but i wouldnt have any illusions as for Blizz intentions

ps. OT, for when is Warhammer Online announced? i lost track.. :(
Luri 4 ever
Shin, Runepriest,<Ravens Bane> K8Peaks EU

Argyleyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Argyleyn »

Partially, you are right. They care about money as much as any other company. On the other hand, they have shown that when it comes to game design they will do the game how they want it. They displeased a huge amount of people by cutting raids to 25 mans, they knew that for several people who got kicked from their old guilds there was the chance they would quit, yet they went on with it, because that's how they want the game. They don't dispute their design plan, they do with it what they want to do with it. In my eyes, they have shown plenty of times that this is their game, and they are going to do whatever they want with it, no matter how much people scream or argue. They have done unpopular things in the past, just because they felt they wanted to go that way and that was it.

And anyway, cutting down gear difference and starting from zero is something that directly affects their customer's enjoyment and so directly affects their income, so it's the one and same thing.
Argyleyn, ex raven ardent prime prestidigitist.

Return to “World of Warcraft”