wireless internet

A home for those technical problems.
pikeh
Emerald Rider

wireless internet

Post by pikeh »

as you may well know im off to Bath at the end of the month and being a pretty old place, the dorms wont have a landline internet connection in so the only other option is to get wireless net, which frankly, i dont have a clue about how it works and stuff.

If i connected to it would i be able to recieve it in Bath? im confused so help me if you can :)
Piikeh/SH/r40/rr4X
<White Rose>
R.I.P Severance

Lairiodd
Emerald Rider

Post by Lairiodd »

It depends on what is available in a given area. I was connected to a wireless ISP before broadband came out. They basically had a mast on a hill near the city, and a MMDS like aeriel that was put on the roof of the house pointing at the mast. This was Ireland, so not sure the situation in England.

I think that if you don't own the house, you won't be able to put the aeriel on the roof. One option would be to convince someone who has a house near the dorms to put up a normal wireless access point and only allow you have access.
Prydwen
Lairiodd Level 50 Nightshade and Legendary Grandmaster Smith (1065) check prices here
Lairirian Level 50 Mana Mentalist and Legendary Spellcrafter (TDD)
Lairgreybark Level 50 Arb Animist
Lairmindlock Level 50 Bard (TDD)
Camlann
Lairthall Level 35+ Friar

Stocking one 99% of most of the useful spellcrafting gems at Houses 3304 and 3306

Over 150 gems at 99% stocked

Hatsepsut
Emerald Rider

Post by Hatsepsut »

No idea about the situation in England. In Sweden people are so "unconcerned" about security you can walk around with a laptop with a wireless nic in any major city and connect to numerous access points...

I can sit in the park here in Lund and get Internet access. ;)

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

pikeh wrote:as you may well know im off to Bath at the end of the month and being a pretty old place, the dorms wont have a landline internet connection in so the only other option is to get wireless net, which frankly, i dont have a clue about how it works and stuff.

If i connected to it would i be able to recieve it in Bath? im confused so help me if you can :)
Wait and see what they have to offer when you get there, I would be surprised if they had nothing on offer as regards to internet tbh.
look, no hands!

Now retired

pikeh
Emerald Rider

Post by pikeh »

Mojo wrote:Wait and see what they have to offer when you get there, I would be surprised if they had nothing on offer as regards to internet tbh.
i wa kind of appaled when they said they didnt have basic internet connections in the dorms where im doing a course which is i'd say around 50% computer orientated. I will phone them i guess and ask stuff :)
Piikeh/SH/r40/rr4X
<White Rose>
R.I.P Severance

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

pikeh wrote:i wa kind of appaled when they said they didnt have basic internet connections in the dorms where im doing a course which is i'd say around 50% computer orientated. I will phone them i guess and ask stuff :)
I remember in my university days we all used to tramp down to the uni's computer rooms and find new and inventive ways trying to get games installed to the PC's. Many a time spent 48 hours solid in those computer rooms, usually got funny looks on monday morning when they started lessons in the room to find 4 crazy looking people surrounded by empty coke bottles and pizza boxes.
Crom, Druid of Na Fianna Dragun

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the A(nimist)-Team

Cue music for full effect.

Thanks to Tuthmes for the link.

pikeh
Emerald Rider

Post by pikeh »

not doing it for teh games! need access to pryd.net 24/7 you know :>
Piikeh/SH/r40/rr4X
<White Rose>
R.I.P Severance

Return to “Tech Help”