DAOC on Linux

A home for those technical problems.
Pharoahe
Emerald Rider

DAOC on Linux

Post by Pharoahe »

Does anybody know if this is possible? I'm considering to give Fedora a try again, due to my need of several systems Linux has to offer for my studies, I could always have a WinXP/Linux partition but I prefer to run only one system to increase performance. Does anybody have any ideas?
Cuthifen, Tavern Regular of the Artisans of Willow (L50 Celt Bard, Legendary Armorer)
Conzpi, Stranger of the Artisans of Willow (L43 Elf Enchanter, Apprentice Spellcrafter)
Edielath, Clanlord of Circle of Satai (L42 Lurikeen Ranger, Apprentice Fletcher)

Reinforced L51 masterpieces in merchant at house 3702 in Limerick.

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Cuthifen wrote:Does anybody know if this is possible? I'm considering to give Fedora a try again, due to my need of several systems Linux has to offer for my studies, I could always have a WinXP/Linux partition but I prefer to run only one system to increase performance. Does anybody have any ideas?
Dual booting won't reduce performance, just hdd space, and in answer to your question i dont know, maybe if u use emulation software it would run? but I doubt tbh.
look, no hands!

Now retired

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Pharoahe
Emerald Rider

Post by Pharoahe »

Cedega seem to support a lot, but I wonder at what performance. I ran simple DirectX gaming last time I had Linux on and the resulsts wasn't good.. Anyone who ran it who can tell me wether it works well or not?

And yes it will lower your performance, because your disk will have two filesystems, takes time to copy files between them and takes longer to boot your comp up.
Cuthifen, Tavern Regular of the Artisans of Willow (L50 Celt Bard, Legendary Armorer)
Conzpi, Stranger of the Artisans of Willow (L43 Elf Enchanter, Apprentice Spellcrafter)
Edielath, Clanlord of Circle of Satai (L42 Lurikeen Ranger, Apprentice Fletcher)

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

You aint got a chance using a PC emulator for running something like DAOC.
Crom, Druid of Na Fianna Dragun

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the A(nimist)-Team

Cue music for full effect.

Thanks to Tuthmes for the link.

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Don't fall into the trap of assuming apps to run Windows programs on Linux are emulators, they're usually not, in fact, WINE stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator. Emulators tend to have to emulate a different computer architecture, whereas Linux/Windows still sit on the underlying hardware so emulation of the hardware is not needed, only a way to translate Windows calls into Linux calls, which in theory, if the Linux implementations are better written. Most games run absolutely fine on Cedega, the real difficulty is usually in configuring Linux, I'm not terribly up on Linux I haven't dived into it for a few months but I know not so long ago ATI weren't supporting it so only unofficial ATI drivers were available for Linux. Also, some Linux distros couldn't ship the proper nVidia Linux drivers with them so you had to get them after, any slowness is more likely due to your Linux setup than anything.
And yes it will lower your performance, because your disk will have two filesystems, takes time to copy files between them and takes longer to boot your comp up.
Huh? Why would Windows need to copy anything from Linux or vice versa when booting up unless you've told it too for some reason? Linux and Windows on seperate partitions can work oblivious to each other (in fact Windows isn't even capable of reading Linux partitions without 3rd party software) so there'll be absolutely no slow down from dual-booting whatsoever.

Now I probably sound like I'm a Linux advocate but I'm not, at least not for desktops, I just wanted to put a few things right. My personal feelings on Linux? Forget it for the desktop, it's just not ready there yet unless you're willing to invest a LOT of time in setting it up, learning it, and maintaining it. That said if you do want to learn Linux then there's no better way than to stick it on as your main OS leaving you with little choice but to figure out any quirks you may have with it. Again, back to supporting Linux though it still totally rules the roost when it comes to servers ;)

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

Aye Xest, next time I shall look at the link before replying!

If it works then that is excellent, 'suck-it and see' thing really. Obviously they will always be a step behind providing support for the latest version of DirectX, and Linux itself lags behind on support for the latest cutting edge PC hardware, however, if it does the job of running DAOC, at the expense of turning of a couple of graphical bells and whistles then who cares.

Anyone actually tried it yet by the way?
Crom, Druid of Na Fianna Dragun

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the A(nimist)-Team

Cue music for full effect.

Thanks to Tuthmes for the link.

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Not tried it personally but I've heard a lot of good things about it, some games I've been told run better under Linux on the same PC - I think SWG was one of the ones they were ranting about as working amazingly well on it a couple of months back.

Suprised to see WoW on the list though, WoW is Mac compatible out the box afaik and as Mac's run on top of BSD nowadays I'd have thought it would only be a couple of hours of programmers time away from being able to support Linux out the box too. That said I guess it's easier to support Mac's which are pretty set in stone configs than it is to support the millions of distros of Linux on the trillion combinations of hardware ;)

Pharoahe
Emerald Rider

Post by Pharoahe »

Hmhm, reason why I said it was slower because I have rather large drives and I have to copy the files over to the Linux partitions using a 3rd party utillity, and when you do a format it wont repair the bad clusters either because you're running different partitions, unless you want a fresh install on both. That's what I really want, to run only one system, that's the best way to learn, though I'm addicted to some gaming(need something to waste time on) and I'm pretty sure Linux ain't the best for that, unfortunately. Well, I'll wait and see if anyone has tried it, otherwise I'll have to give it a try myself.

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Still don't understand how copying files to a linux partition with a 3rd party utility can effect your system speed other than whilst you're copying, especially if you have large drives then I'm not sure why you need to copy anything over at all, anything that maybe duplicated you should have space for.

Bad clusters are somewhat worrying, generally if there's too many and they can't be shifted with a format it's probably a good idea to look for a new drive anyway.

Return to “Tech Help”