Boat Racing! (lag orintated posts)

A home for those technical problems.
Jupi
Emerald Rider

Post by Jupi »

here as i wrote on FH....
personally speaking, i'd prefer if GOA would invest time in fixing the bloody lag than these events. IIRC there was a post in the friday news about 2 months ago that this was to be fixed hmmmmmmm.... come work for me i'll show u what working to a deadline and keeping the customer happy means

Requiel

Post by Requiel »

Jupi wrote:here as i wrote on FH....personally speaking, i'd prefer if GOA would invest time in fixing the bloody lag than these events. IIRC there was a post in the friday news about 2 months ago that this was to be fixed hmmmmmmm.... come work for me i'll show u what working to a deadline and keeping the customer happy means
A couple of things.
1: Lag does not get fixed by the same people who write or run events. Running events in no way takes any resources away from network maintenance.
2: There are no problems reported in our networks at all currently. All indicators and all the servers and network monitors are entirely green. If you are getting lag it isn't coming from our network. The issues that we mentioned a couple of months ago in the news were fixed. There was a general problem with OT that we eventually got them to resolve. We got 1.71 out as fast as possible to resolve the lag caused by poor performance in the 1.70 network code, and then when we ad a hardware failure over the course of a weekend, we fixed it and gave people free game time as compensation. There was no single lag issue. There were several different thngs at different times. One was our fault and we fixed it and compensated people for it. One was nothing to do with us but we pressured the people who's fault it was until eventually they sorted it out. The last was unavoidable and we did everything we could to resolve it as fast as possible. If you are still getting lag, run a pingplot and see where it is coming from. If it's not coming from our network then we can't do anything about it even if we cancelled all events, stopped translating patches and transferred all the server GMs, dinner ladies, office cleaners and storyliners to the network maintenance team.

Jupi
Emerald Rider

Post by Jupi »

Requiel wrote: 2: There are no problems reported in our networks at all currently. All indicators and all the servers and network monitors are entirely green. If you are getting lag it isn't coming from our network. The issues that we mentioned a couple of months ago in the news were fixed.
so ur saying there is no more lag? The group that i mainly run in consists of people from all corners of europe and most nites we consistently get 4-5 occasions of 2 red squares on the perf meter. Hell, if it was solely me lagging i wouldnt care so much but its not... last nite was bad, monday nite was bad, last friday nite was bad... post a poll and find out instead of belittling me or trying to make out i'm whining for the sake of it

Requiel

Post by Requiel »

Jupi wrote:so ur saying there is no more lag? The group that i mainly run in consists of people from all corners of europe and most nites weconsistently get 4-5 occasions of 2 red squares on the perf meter. Hell, if it was solely me lagging i wouldnt care so much but its not... last nite was bad, monday nite was bad, last friday nite was bad... post a poll and find out instead of belittling a customer
I'm not belittling anyone. I'm pointing out that there are no reported problems with anypart of our network. I'm fully prepared to believe that you and others are experiencing lag, however I'm telling you that any lag you get isn't coming from us.

stupeh
Emerald Rider

Post by stupeh »

Can we leave an event thread... as an event thread please? ><
~

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

I had incredible bad lag...infact, so bad that I was gonna quit...BUT after they fixed it it got much much better. Infact, its soo good that I enjoy every sec of playing the game now :) Imo, keep your whinning in seperate threads instead of hijacking event posts :) No offence mate, but thats what I think you should do.

/Ankh

Gahn

Post by Gahn »

Requiel wrote:A couple of things.
1: Lag does not get fixed by the same people who write or run events. Running events in no way takes any resources away from network maintenance.
2: There are no problems reported in our networks at all currently. All indicators and all the servers and network monitors are entirely green. If you are getting lag it isn't coming from our network. The issues that we mentioned a couple of months ago in the news were fixed. There was a general problem with OT that we eventually got them to resolve. We got 1.71 out as fast as possible to resolve the lag caused by poor performance in the 1.70 network code, and then when we ad a hardware failure over the course of a weekend, we fixed it and gave people free game time as compensation. There was no single lag issue. There were several different thngs at different times. One was our fault and we fixed it and compensated people for it. One was nothing to do with us but we pressured the people who's fault it was until eventually they sorted it out. The last was unavoidable and we did everything we could to resolve it as fast as possible. If you are still getting lag, run a pingplot and see where it is coming from. If it's not coming from our network then we can't do anything about it even if we cancelled all events, stopped translating patches and transferred all the server GMs, dinner ladies, office cleaners and storyliners to the network maintenance team.
As usual not banging on your head Requiel cause i realize u ain't Network Manager of GOA, but man, they are lieing u lol
It's 10 days that the very same problem is back, lag spikes of 6-8 s with double red square (all apart FPS) every now and then (3-4 hours of play happens at least 10-12 times) and unable to do nothing, then back to game normally.
Now our gg plays from Italy (me) Ireland and England and when that happens we ask in alliance channel and an high % answers that they had same problem, it's very unlikely that we have all an ISP problem; and anyway if it's an OT problem like last time y GOA didn't take some steps in direction of having some1 or some Company for all that i care that keeps checked routes to your network?
U know it's a bit "family company" to hope that your customers will trace problems for ya every time.
rant off
Gahn LoneWolf Celt Seraph Tiarna Prydwen
Na Fianna Dragun
Gahn Lonewolf Guardian [TDA] on Gunnar's Hold

nibs
Emerald Rider

Post by nibs »

As per usual, the problem more than likely lies in the internal routing at OT (happening from 3 different countries its a more than safe bet), which is out of the GM's control, which safegaurds them from blame.

http://www.opentransit.francetelecom.com/index.asp

Anyone who followed the UK broadband market in regards to gaming should be able to vouch that providing a decent gaming connection comes low on the vast majority of an ISP's list of 'things to provide' (bearign in mind isp's are responsible for their routing). BT in particular have played this card spectacularly (and also play host to the routing of the vast majority of isps). And i suspect this isn't something that only happens in the UK.

OT aren't there to provide you the best connection for gaming, they are there to provide a fast (in terms of speed), reliable (in terms of uptime, stability), connection/routing solution. As such ensuring people recieve consistently low ping times to a DAOC server would ride pretty low on their list of 'to provide' things. All the whilst a user can communicate with the server reasonably, they are providing exactly what they set out to.

Admittedly im prolly wrong, and im sure some people will point it out with a certain amount of smugness. But GOA are safegaurded from taking the fall for lag issues cause they dive directly into the opentransit network so that lag issues they are the cause of are minimilistic and relatively non existent. The one thing they cant dodge however, is the fact they've picked a piss poor host to route a game through :)
Mid/Ava
Gwarp, 42, Savage, LGM AC
Grumblebum, 50, Spiritmaster, ML3
Nibkyrie, 48, Valk, 9xx Alch
Nibmedic, 50, Healer, ML9
Stumblebum, 50, Warrior, ML10

Bourkey
Emerald Rider

Post by Bourkey »

ive been playing wow lately and before i went really bad lag, went to wow, omg what a treat no lag at all, maybe one 2 sec lagspike every hour. Get back to game of daoc last night, near impossible to play at some times.

Return to “Tech Help”