Opening up a port

A home for those technical problems.
Tare
Emerald Rider

Opening up a port

Post by Tare »

So, recently I had wireless internet installed here. They installed this router. The thing is, now I need to open up a specific port, I just couldn't figure out how to do it. Anyone got any help for me? :)

Quinlan

Post by Quinlan »

Get her!
She's really good at opening stuff!

In all seriousness now:

The link you gave includes a Users Guide In chapter 5 it shows you how to configure your router.

Go to 192.168.15.1 (router default)
On the security tab there is a list of Filter Ports.

And now go read the rest yourself i have to go get a taxi to the airport..sorry :)
finland:
holland:

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Go to the command prompt and do an /ipconfig. The results will list your default gateway, this is the router address and the address that you need to browse to in order for you to access the config pages of your router.

The default as Quin listed might be dependent on which country your router is sold in or somesuch in the UK the default is 192.168.1.1

The config page your looking for could be shown listed as Filters, NAT, Port Forwarding or Application and Gaming (depending on firmware version, which is dependant on router model)

Again depending on firware model you should see the basic options when your at the right page for

Name, Port, Protocol, IP Address, and then an Enable check box.

[Edit]
Once you found the config page just put the Port number and the IP of the machine u want that port traffic forwarded to and check enable.
For the protocol u need to know what the service uses but typically you can select the "both" option to forward TCP and UDP packets.
look, no hands!

Now retired

Erce

Post by Erce »

I had to recently try this and Seanpaul sent me a link to an excellent site which enabled me to do it!

http://www.portforward.com/default.htm

hope this helps, if it does, kiss SP!

Return to “Tech Help”