Graphics Card Problems

A home for those technical problems.
Overdue

Graphics Card Problems

Post by Overdue »

Okay so I'm using an Nvidia Geforce FX5600 with the latest official drivers.

Spec:
Graphics core: 128bit
Max memory: 128mB
Memory bandwidth: Not sure really but I'd guess around 8GB/sec

Running on:
Pentium 4, 2.8ghz, 1gb ddr ram. Unsure on the motherboard but it's relatively new (bought in last 3 months).

Problems:
  • When playing a video in background while games are running experience some weird things happening... Example would be I'm listening to a DaoC video or Fredrky Phox video while playing, if I return to the game all I can see is random sized polygons everywhere.
  • Minimizing the game causes the frames per second to drop by a certain amount each time I do it until it's unbearable to play (around 2-3 fps).
  • Occasionally zone doesn't load and all I can see is the GUI but it doesn't move at all. If I look at it on another computer I can move around and type but can't see anything on the screen.
  • Sometimes screen freezes completely (only happened once). This happened in the Agramon zone on approach to a fg, it cleared after a while, this wasn't processor lag it was graphics lag, which shouldn't happen - I could see the gui etc and people talking.
Predictions:
  • Graphics lag
  • Memory not clearing properly
  • Tis busted >.<
What do you think the causes are? If you can't recommend a fix could you recommend an alternative graphics card below £100?
Devera the 10th Season Thunderer Blademaster
Gori the 8th Season Silver Hand Bard
Deify the 9th Season Flammen Vakten Spiritmaster

Retired

Overdue

Post by Overdue »

Bump... Anyone?
Devera the 10th Season Thunderer Blademaster
Gori the 8th Season Silver Hand Bard
Deify the 9th Season Flammen Vakten Spiritmaster

Retired

Hrymf
Emerald Rider

Post by Hrymf »

Had same problem in WoW, seems to me you are simple stressing your system to much with playing a game which require multimedia ressources, and playing a movie meanwhile, daoc is not made to actually work perfect with either windowed mode or alt tabbing out of the game, and doing alot other stuff in windows while having daoc running.

I cant really give any high tech answer to this, since im pretty clueless about that, but normaly you would think even though your daoc is running in the background, it still have stuff like sound started up, and gfx card working on it, and CPU and RAM as well, so it could be a mix of everything really, supposely its mostly that a normal OS dont really do well with running similar jobs that use the same ressources, at least that is my experiense...

I never got it fixed, i simple learned that watching movies while having alt tabbed from wow or wow in window mode, was a bad idea.
Inzo Nightshade 7Lx
Inzak Warden 8lx
Inzork Blademaster 6lx

Return to “Tech Help”