SPYAXE!!! Beware!!

A home for those technical problems.
Kari
Emerald Rider

Post by Kari »

Gandelf wrote:You can get routers off e-bay for next to nothing. I got a Linksys router for £21+P&P. It's great and also means that the missus can use her computer without mine having to be on when she needs the Internet. So it saves electricity and means my computer won't wear out as quickly.
Save making a new thread - could someone please recommend me a good router. I'm looking for the firewall function as mentioned above, ability to run comps by direct connection & also possibly a laptop wirelessly. I'm also clueless about routers & setting them up, so take that & any other stuff I might need into consideration. Cost is largely irrelevant as long as it's not silleh ;)

Thanks in advance.

Takitothemacs
Emerald Rider

Post by Takitothemacs »

Linksys do some nice combo routers... and as they are basically the home/small business end of Cisco you will find their stuff farily solid... and affordable unlike the big boy cisco stuff.

Another option is a watchguard firewall.. they do a range but not sure about their functionality for wireless etc
Hib Pryd/Excal Retired
Littlefirby Lv51 ML9 CL10 Lurishade Thunderer

Mid Avalon - Retired
Cartilage - Lv 50 Bonedancer
Tigerstripe - LV50 Mauler
Xanidiu - Shammy BB

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

Ive always had good experiences with netgear products, though some would probably disagree!

I wouldnt hesitate to buy something like this:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products ... _uid=52244

Also as a general rule of thumb, I like to match my wireless card maker with my wireless router maker. In theory it shouldnt make a difference but ...

Have a further browse around and you should be able to get a 108mbps wireless model with same features, though in real world use, ive found the 54mbps products more stable.
Crom, Druid of Na Fianna Dragun

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the A(nimist)-Team

Cue music for full effect.

Thanks to Tuthmes for the link.

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

As long as you don't use D-Wank, er I mean D-Link you'll be fine :p
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Keriwin
Emerald Rider

Post by Keriwin »

Cromcruaich wrote:Ive always had good experiences with netgear products, though some would probably disagree!

I wouldnt hesitate to buy something like this:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products ... _uid=52244

Also as a general rule of thumb, I like to match my wireless card maker with my wireless router maker. In theory it shouldnt make a difference but ...

Have a further browse around and you should be able to get a 108mbps wireless model with same features, though in real world use, ive found the 54mbps products more stable.

is the link to a dildo?
Keriwin - Warrior
<<Lost Vikings>>
<<<Midgard-Lancelot>>>

Keriwin - Vampiir
<<Na Fianna Dragun >>
<<<Hibernia-Prydwen>>>

pikeh
Emerald Rider

Post by pikeh »

just have to say, that this worked a treat to get rid of SpyAxe. Made pc run a lot faster without all the shit you pick up on the net as well. Worth the time spent imo. (whole process took about 4 hours)
Piikeh/SH/r40/rr4X
<White Rose>
R.I.P Severance

Succi
Emerald Rider

Post by Succi »

haha that "computer wear out" line is a classic :D

Return to “Tech Help”