new pc can you find better?

A home for those technical problems.
ant
Emerald Rider

new pc can you find better?

Post by ant »

i am in dire need of a new pc and after looking about i found 1 from http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk ,i like the look of the 4.2 athlon sli for just under £1000 but is there a better system out there for this sort of cash?

i will also need a new moniter prolly go for a 19" flatscreen any suggestions?

thx in advance for any input;)

Windmaster
Emerald Rider

Post by Windmaster »

soz for the spam, but I just tried out a nice config and came on £4000! rofl
I think you should not buy a pc from that website cause they are really expensive. Take a look at http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/default.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=gen
and tell me if you find something :D

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Don't buy from Dell, they've totally lost the plot over the last year or so, overall in the last 3 years Dell has gone from being one of the best PC manufacturers to absolutely one of the worst. Dell really are quite terrible nowadays, it's a shame.

It's still best to just build a machine yourself from scratch if you can buying parts from http://www.dabs.com or http://www.scan.co.uk
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Windmaster
Emerald Rider

Post by Windmaster »

it all depends what type you buy, I myself am not using a dell, but I know peeps who do and have no problems at all with them...

Kesxex

Post by Kesxex »

Another good source for parts is
cclcomputers.co.uk
"If you are not living on the edge, you occupy too much space!"

Blutark
Emerald Rider

Post by Blutark »

i built mine using a "barebones" pack from http://www.novatech.co.uk and what you get in that is motherboard chipset processor case etc then you just add what you want to it ..they also do ready built pcs flat panel screens
in the 4 years that i have been using them i have not had a problem :compbash:
gm of Dark Blade Mercanaries blutark2:
im too cute to die ..too old to live

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Windmaster wrote:it all depends what type you buy, I myself am not using a dell, but I know peeps who do and have no problems at all with them...
Well yeah, if you're lucky enough to be sent a PC from Dell that's not dead on arrival then it's probably going to be okay, but if anything goes wrong with it you're completely fucked. Not only does it take 2hrs to even get through to them but it'll take weeks to get it repaired, and that's if they can even repair it - with me they were completely unable to, they failed to fix it 4 times taking 4months total.

Also at work we supposedly have a business contract with them that allows us to speak to their British support people to log faults faster, however this still takes an hour to get through to them, and you're only allowed to log one fault per call, meaning if you've just spent £30,000 on 40 new laptops with them and 3 of them are faulty on arrival (which is generous, usually a 10% failure rate at least) then you have to wait an hour, log one, wait an hour then log another, wait an hour and log the last.

Also in their catalog of faults, you'll often see their adverts in newspapers or on TV or in their leaflets that they spam your house with offering some great deals, ever tried phoning up to order one of these? They tell you there's no such offer and try and sell it you for about £200 more.

They never get back to you regarding non-technical queries, if you post a complaint about one of their support people, they let the support person you complained about respond to your complaint if they even respond to your complaint at all other than ignore it.

They won a contract in West Yorkshire to supply the districts schools with decent laptops for £550 each only to up the price to £800 a month later leaving some schools completely screwed in terms of laptop provisios.

Need I go on :p ? Put simply, with Dell if you're lucky enough to get a working machine from them at the start then they're still really good machines, but if you want support, help, if you want to buy via the phone taking advantage of an offer, if you end up with a faulty machine, if you're a business user then they'll fuck you ever way possible. Dell used to rock, but now over the last year they've become second only in incompetence to GOA :p

CCL that Kesxex mentioned also does indeed rock for parts, I can attest to that ;) Novatech are pretty good too :) In terms of parts suppliers, it's best to stick to the bigger names like Scan, Dabs, Novatech, CCL I've found, if you do happen to get a faulty part they generally seem very good at replacing it.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

I agree with Xest regards dell. Ive had very bad experiences with them, at every level, from the quality of the product, to the follow up support and returns. I've found the laptops to be particularly bad in the past. (I used to procure hardware for my previous company)

Personaly ive found ebuyer really good on delivery, price and returns, some people have had bad experiences but I think that because of the sheer amount of business they do. Not had to use their support though.
Crom, Druid of Na Fianna Dragun

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the A(nimist)-Team

Cue music for full effect.

Thanks to Tuthmes for the link.

pikeh
Emerald Rider

Post by pikeh »

Blutark wrote:i built mine using a "barebones" pack from http://www.novatech.co.uk and what you get in that is motherboard chipset processor case etc then you just add what you want to it ..they also do ready built pcs flat panel screens
in the 4 years that i have been using them i have not had a problem :compbash:

amen :)
Piikeh/SH/r40/rr4X
<White Rose>
R.I.P Severance

ant
Emerald Rider

Post by ant »

thx for the info so far am looking around now,never liked dell tbh they seem a bit pricy for me

Return to “Tech Help”