Not really a tech question but still!

A home for those technical problems.
Xest
Emerald Rider

Not really a tech question but still!

Post by Xest »

Anyone have any experience buying computer hardware abroad, specifically the US and having it shipped to the UK?

The reason I bring this up is that I need a Mac for ensuring some code I'm working on works ok on the Mac (as well as Win/Linux but that's covered!), with the US dollar being at it's weakest in a looooooong while, almost $1.9 US to £1 I'm contemplating buying it from the US and just buying a UK adapter for it but does anyone know specifically what the taxes are and such on importing hardware? I've imported games and know it's hit and miss whether you get taxed - usually £10 flat fee and then 17.5% on top so only makes sense if you buy 3+ games and books don't seem to get taxed at all but hardware I'm really not sure about!

To buy the iBook in the UK it'd cost me £700, to buy it from the US it'd only cost £528 with the exchange rate. Just wondering if buying from the US then just buying a UK power adapter and paying the import costs it'd still be less!
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Norcott
Emerald Rider

Post by Norcott »

not to sure on the taxes on that xest but alot of companys ship under gift wrappng from the US to avoid it.. i think its a dodgy like u said hit and miss thing may be worth a call to Customs/E and ask them wot sort of duty ur likely to pay..
Norcott - Ranger
Hibernian Dragon Slayers [GM]
Eyes and Ears Volunteer

Kabane
Emerald Rider

Post by Kabane »

as far as im aware it should fall under the S-17.5% If you get "hit" by it although most companys like norcott said "gift wapp" it , but this like should help you out a little more http://www.usembassy.org.uk/fas/import_procedures.htm
I see a red door and I want it painted black. No colours anymore I want them to turn black
I have to turn my head until my darkness goes

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Cheers guys, looks okay to do although I'm only saving around £40 total so far with VAT on and a new power supply - I'll hold off a few weeks to see if the dollars weakens more, I'm hoping for at least $2 to the £ ;) Guess we'll have to see what the next week or two brings!
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Return to “Tech Help”