Keeping things cool...

A home for those technical problems.
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

[quote="HappyG"]I recently bought Thermaltake Sonic Tower for my P4 2800. This shit is so big, it's pain to get in the box, but once it's in it works damn good. Without the fan it got my CPU temp to about 60C, which is what my original Intel cooler was able to do with fan at maximum speed (although its true, I'd have to clean it a bit :)).
Than I installed a small fan inbetween with fan mate keeping it at half speed (~1500 RPM = very silent) and it got my CPU down to 35C, when running at 100% load.
Oh and I payed a bit under &#8364]

You'r PC Internals need a dusting imo :p
look, no hands!

Now retired

Lairiodd
Emerald Rider

Post by Lairiodd »

Hmm, I thought you were taking the piss of Gandelf :p.

What will people think of next.

I wonder if submerging just your CPU would work too.
Prydwen
Lairiodd Level 50 Nightshade and Legendary Grandmaster Smith (1065) check prices here
Lairirian Level 50 Mana Mentalist and Legendary Spellcrafter (TDD)
Lairgreybark Level 50 Arb Animist
Lairmindlock Level 50 Bard (TDD)
Camlann
Lairthall Level 35+ Friar

Stocking one 99% of most of the useful spellcrafting gems at Houses 3304 and 3306

Over 150 gems at 99% stocked

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Lairiodd wrote:Hmm, I thought you were taking the piss of Gandelf :p.

What will people think of next.

I wonder if submerging just your CPU would work too.
Submerging in what, cooking oil again ;) ? Probably but I think graphics cards generate as much heat as the processor nowadays to be honest, if not more.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Lairiodd
Emerald Rider

Post by Lairiodd »

[quote="Xest"]Submerging in what, cooking oil again ]

Yeah. The point is that they were talking about gallons of oil needed. If all you had to do was submerge the CPU heatsink and I guess the graphics card heat sink, then you could get away with alot less oil.

However, I wonder if you would still need an heatsink to cool the oil, if you make the oil "block" to small. I guess the system effectively had a heatsink the size of the box itself when it was filled up completely.
Prydwen
Lairiodd Level 50 Nightshade and Legendary Grandmaster Smith (1065) check prices here
Lairirian Level 50 Mana Mentalist and Legendary Spellcrafter (TDD)
Lairgreybark Level 50 Arb Animist
Lairmindlock Level 50 Bard (TDD)
Camlann
Lairthall Level 35+ Friar

Stocking one 99% of most of the useful spellcrafting gems at Houses 3304 and 3306

Over 150 gems at 99% stocked

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Lairiodd wrote:Yeah. The point is that they were talking about gallons of oil needed. If all you had to do was submerge the CPU heatsink and I guess the graphics card heat sink, then you could get away with alot less oil.

However, I wonder if you would still need an heatsink to cool the oil, if you make the oil "block" to small. I guess the system effectively had a heatsink the size of the box itself when it was filled up completely.
I think one of the reasons it works so well is cos of the amount of oil tbh. If you had less oil it would not work as effective (wild guess tho).

/Ankh

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

I think the real question is, can we produce a cooling device that allows us to cook our lunch and keep our cans of beer cool all at once without us ever needing to leave our PC for such things!

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

I've seen pc towers with built in coffee machines...funny thing to do but it sure as hell cant be good for the cooling. Also, I saw a "furry" tower case in a competition...thats bound to produce heat :D

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

Oils not a great thermal conducter, the reason it works in this instance is because the oil itself is its own heatsink, so it comes into direct contact with the chips (pun intended) rather than having an intermediate interface (silicon compound etc), and more importantly the fact that it was in submerged in a whole vat of the stuff, and that it's liquid means that fluid convection ensures that hot oil moves up from the heat sources.

Perfect heatsink would probably be one where mercury is circulated around the chips heatsink contact bit at -38.9C. Not entirely practical though!
Crom, Druid of Na Fianna Dragun

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the A(nimist)-Team

Cue music for full effect.

Thanks to Tuthmes for the link.

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

I think the only reason they made this one is cos oil doesnt lead electricity and watercooling works pretty good...so it was proberbly more an experiment than an attempt to get a new cooling system into the market. Also, problem with this cooling is that it will get really messy if you decided to change parts :P

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Yeah, how exactly DO you clean oil off of computer components :p ?

As you say though, the fact it doesn't conduct electricity is a pretty decent bonus to oil too ;)

Return to “Tech Help”