LD while porting?

A home for those technical problems.
Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

I would guess part of the zoning process is changing sockets. In which case it could be that the Euro client isn't creating new sockets correctly when zoning for certain NIC drivers / setting combinations.

Were these behind NAT routers or direct connections? Maybe the NAT translation is causing the sockets to be created in correctly?

Given that the issue affects a relatively small number of people and over a long period of time I would think the client end is more likely the culprit than a router.

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Ovi wrote:I would guess part of the zoning process is changing sockets. In which case it could be that the Euro client isn't creating new sockets correctly when zoning for certain NIC drivers / setting combinations.

Were these behind NAT routers or direct connections? Maybe the NAT translation is causing the sockets to be created in correctly?

Given that the issue affects a relatively small number of people and over a long period of time I would think the client end is more likely the culprit than a router.
Well for me the issue was as I say nothing to do with zoning. It was just random LD's after 30secs - 2mins, completely unplayable, problem completely went away when I swapped NIC, problem also never occured on the US client with the NIC that didn't work with euro DAoC.

There's pretty much no chance it's a router issue at my/Usp's end because:
a) I've used 3 different routers with same problem (D-Link, US Robotics, Draytek)

b) Other PCs behind the router work absolutely fine

c) The problematic PC works fine with everything else (including the US servers) and things like WoW, Planetside, BitTorrent

The problem is definitely affected by network cards and importantly, it seems
an issue with high end cards, the card I was using sent extra information for debugging purposes, likewise I'd imagine Usp's card being a server card had similar options. If these cards have no issues sending data around elsewhere - to other servers, other games and so on and as everything else has been isolated the issue is directly related to GOA's end of things and the high end NICs which do things slightly differently at the network layer. I'd wager a bet that you're spot on with the comment about creating a new socket and that's when Usp's card sends the diagnostic info that's making GOA's routers/servers say a big virtual "fuck off". Of course again it's not entirely GOAs fault, if 3Com would make their drivers less shite so it was an option you turn on rather than being forced into it by the drivers I could find (unless they've finally updated them) then that'd solve the issue too. Don't know about Usp's card though, might be an option there ;)
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

VidX

Post by VidX »

Xest is spot on actually. The card I was using does have fault-tolerance, flow control, diagnostics and priority control on it, possibly that was causing an issue with the packets sent to GOA, though no other service, application or game has ever had the same problems :D

I'd prefer not to turn the functions off as I use them locally so I just modified any traffic to 193.* just gets directed to the interface on the on-board NIC now.
Usp Caffeinechanter - level 6 Roasted Bean
Can find me as Manachanter in most things...
World of Warships [NA] mainly

usp:

Return to “Tech Help”