Can't view Quicktime Streams over the web

A home for those technical problems.
Takitothemacs
Emerald Rider

Can't view Quicktime Streams over the web

Post by Takitothemacs »

as a media company we need to view QT over the web, anyone come across an issue where the quicktime window shows up but goes to a ? rather than playing the video?

Any thoughts, suggestions or questions gladly accepted
Hib Pryd/Excal Retired
Littlefirby Lv51 ML9 CL10 Lurishade Thunderer

Mid Avalon - Retired
Cartilage - Lv 50 Bonedancer
Tigerstripe - LV50 Mauler
Xanidiu - Shammy BB

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Not seen that specific problem but Quicktime has never played well with web proxies. We also had a situation the other week where a user had a CD that had a web front end and a bunch of quicktime streams on CD, when you clicked play nothing happened at all, tried it on countless machines under countless versions of quicktime, the only solution was to copy the entire CD to disk which did actually work. I think essentially quicktime has a bit of a hit and miss caching system, despite being configured with a proper disk based cache it seemed the stream was trying to cache to the CD, which, being a read only media is obviously not going to work - like wise I think the same thing happens when Quicktime bumps into some proxy configurations, it tries to cache somewhere where it can rather than where it should, i.e. the disk based cache.

Also, on another note the Quicktime plugins aren't particularly stable, even the Quicktime movies on the Apple site have been known to make Firefox keel over and die.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Return to “Tech Help”