wireless router

A home for those technical problems.
Anthon
Emerald Rider

wireless router

Post by Anthon »

Hi all,

I have a problem with my wireless router.

When I try to make contact I can see my router, but can't go on internet.

When I use wires I can get on the internet.

Did try to disable my networkcard but didn't help. Did a few other setting changes I found on the net, but nothing seems to help.

I'm a network n00b, so if any has any suggestions or has experience with it, let me know :o

Router: Linksys
Model No: WRT54GS

Wireless Network Adapter: Linksys
Model No: WUSB54GS-UK

Thank you.

Quinlan

Post by Quinlan »

Do you mean that when you use a wired connection to your router the internet works?

If so you might want to try to enable http and https etc on your router for wireless connections (altho that should be default).

If you mean you can connect when your just wired via your modem without the router: Then you have to set the connection up properly on the basic settings screen of your router. There should be a connection status screen where you can see if the router is connected to the internet. (I did the same last week with a linksys N-router cant imagine yours is alot different)

Last but not least make sure the firmware is up to date. The one you have has several new versions. You can check on the firmware update tab on the router
finland:
holland:

Erce

Post by Erce »

Thanks for the reply Quin, yeah basically the router works fine when the pc's are hooked via an ethernet cable, but the pc upstairs (and also my pc when we tried it out first) cannot connect wirelessly to the internet.

Its bizarre, the pc finds the access point, there is a good connection, but will not access the internet. HTTP and HTTPS are both enabled, and the firmware is the most current.

There is obviously something going on, and not knowing a whole lot about wireless networking (or wired come to that) Anth and I are scrathing our heads about this one.

Going to be doing some detective work but if anyone knows anything similar and has any ideas, please share:-)

Thanks.

amusingly my nintendo ds had NO probelsm picking up and connecting on the wireless.....
Erce..animist (retired)
Erehey..VW (retired)

druid in wow....(retired )

Heta
Emerald Rider

Post by Heta »

wireless routers are not recomended for online games such as daoc, you will find yourself going LD way more then with a wire
Woho! I got a 360 \o/

Kesxex

Post by Kesxex »

Stupid question but do you have encryption set up?
If so, have you told the PC's the connection key?

From what you said so far it doesn't likely (Nintendo DS) - but it's worth checking.
"If you are not living on the edge, you occupy too much space!"

Anthon
Emerald Rider

Post by Anthon »

well the pc that is wireless is not for online gaming:-) and having seen others who are on wireless go LD a lot, its not something I think we would try!

And the encryption was not set up at the time, and has since been set up, and the keys are known by all concerned pieces of hardware:-)

its a real mystery.

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Not got some kind of MAC address filtering enabled?
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Erce

Post by Erce »

nope, no mac filtering at.
Erce..animist (retired)
Erehey..VW (retired)

Tuthmes
Emerald Rider

Post by Tuthmes »

I take it the router has both the cable connections and the wireless one connected to it? If so then it obvisously get an adress from the router, cause you can see it, but the router itself wont let it get onto internet (duh:). Which makes sense, cause then everyone around it could get on the internet with that router. Check how the safety works for the wireless connections or give the ip of the comp the rights to connect to the internet.

Anyways i might across a bit simple, wasnt intented. :<
----------------------------
Tuthmes - lvl50 - rr7 - Ranja
Nefertete - lvl50 - rr9 - Bardesse
Neterbaiu - lvl50 - rr8 - Eldrich
Koenoe - lvl50 - rr8 - Dr00d
Achnaton - lvl50 - rr4 - Animist
Ausernefert - lvl50 - rr5 - Mentalist
Horemheb - lvl50 - rr3 Chimp
Soulsistah - lvl50 - rr6 Vampz0r
Nebcheperure - lvl50 - rr6 Valewalker
Mayet - lvl50 - rr7 Hewo

Erce

Post by Erce »

well as it stands atm.

The router works as intended on the 2 pc's hooked up via wires.
One PC has a wireless connection, on this we can access the router software etc and it says it has a connection, so we KNOW the connection works.

If you try and access the internet on the wireless pc however, it just doesn;t access any pages. And we are left scrathing our heads, the wep key is on, we disabled mac addresses (and they aren;t needed by the isp), as far as we can tell all the ips are correct.

Oh, and on the router software, it sees the wireless pc on the lan. We have gone through the software many times, looking for something obvious, but, we can;t see it.
Erce..animist (retired)
Erehey..VW (retired)

Return to “Tech Help”