wireless router

A home for those technical problems.
Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

If the PCs are running Windows XP SP2, have you tried disabling the firewall?

Or even any other local firewall on the machines.

As you are behind the router it should be safe enough for testing to see if it works with them turned off, and I seem to remember having a similar problem with the Windows Firewall.

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Have you tried just disabling WEP and setting it up completely unsecured first?
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

Need a bit more info.

Open a dos prompt on your wireless connected pc and type ipconfig /all > c:\ipconfig.txt

Post the results up here if you like, or pm to them to me, though its internal info only so no security real compromise, unless someone from here is gonna wardrive you!

Also, you say the pc is connected to the router because you can connect to it - I presumse you mean via a web browser interface, from typing in the routers IP address into the browser (eg [url]http://192.168.1.1)[/url].

At the moment i'm leaning towards your wireless card not picking up a valid DNS server address, presuming the above is the case, but the ipconfig would confirm that to me.

Do an extra test from the open dos box for us. type ping http://www.pryd.net > c:\ping_dns.txt and post the output, then do ping 88.80.193.49 > c:\ping_ip.txt and post/send the output.
Crom, Druid of Na Fianna Dragun

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the A(nimist)-Team

Cue music for full effect.

Thanks to Tuthmes for the link.

Erce

Post by Erce »

ok crom will do that when i get home:-) ty
Erce..animist (retired)
Erehey..VW (retired)

druid in wow....(retired )

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

I have a similar problem with my laptop - it connects and even goes online for a while then it simply stops downloading pages and I get the blank page thing.

I have no clue whats going on.
Na Fianna Dragun

Karak-Eight Peaks, Kiera ze Witch Hunter

Eve online - Kaminjosvig.

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

Sharkith wrote:I have a similar problem with my laptop - it connects and even goes online for a while then it simply stops downloading pages and I get the blank page thing.

I have no clue whats going on.
Sounds like connection is just dropping. Get it on wireless at the office. Sit by the router for a while and if the problem goes away its a weak signal possibly exacerbated by a card with poor reception (this is common on laptops that dont have a proper aerials unlike the wireless pci cards for desktops).

Few things I would try if it is the signal are:
Dropping to a default lower connection speed of 54mbps if you are running at 108mbps
Drop encryption down to 64bit if you are running at 128bit.
Upgrade firmware on the router, and the firmware and drivers for your laptop wireless card if available.

If upgrading router firmware, in most cases you can save the router config to upload again after the firmware upgrade. I'd still note down all the info you need before you do it though. (admin passwords, dns config, dhcp pools, adsl username and password etc - i find it easiest just to screenie the relevant config screens and keep it on your network, or being extra safe email any of this sort of info to work and it should be magically backed up by your work's expensive backup procedures)

The last is a pain though, and you always risk a major fick up when upgrading firmware. hence its last resort.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the A(nimist)-Team

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

but the signal is always strong :( I don't get this - its always beside the dammed thing.
Na Fianna Dragun

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

Sharkith wrote:but the signal is always strong :( I don't get this - its always beside the dammed thing.
Sounds a little suspicious, does it do the same thing if you:
a) Connect directly to the router over a cable
b) Connect over the wireless with another PC

Once you lose the internet can you still ping sites by dns address or ip address?
Can you still ping the router?

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

Cromcruaich wrote:Sounds a little suspicious, does it do the same thing if you:
a) Connect directly to the router over a cable
b) Connect over the wireless with another PC

Once you lose the internet can you still ping sites by dns address or ip address?
Ok will try some of this tonight to see how it goes. I threw it in the corner in frustration a while back. :)
Na Fianna Dragun

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Could just be crappy drivers. Try downloading new drivers from the manufacturers website. What make is it? D-Link are notorious for abysmal wireless LAN drivers.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Return to “Tech Help”