Motherboards

A home for those technical problems.
Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Quad-cores are not worth waiting for imo.

It's going to be a long time before anything makes any use of 4-cores, 2 is good, any more at this point in time is a waste.

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Indeed, don't wait for quad core, it's really not worth it.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Arcsalin
Emerald Rider

Post by Arcsalin »

Ovi wrote:Quad-cores are not worth waiting for imo.

It's going to be a long time before anything makes any use of 4-cores, 2 is good, any more at this point in time is a waste.
I don't like to waste good money, especially if the processor I was going to buy will be obsolete in like a year :(
Mid Excalibur
Hib Pryd
Alb Stonehenge (I was there before teh cluster and gimps going from excal pryd cluster due to QQ - Noobs! :p )
Alb Camlann

.........far too many 50's to mention and no bb - hardcore gaming for a hardcore peep :)

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Arcsalin wrote:I don't like to waste good money, especially if the processor I was going to buy will be obsolete in like a year :(
But it wont be a year, it'll be like 4years before quad core is really the norm where all applications make use of it, we're still waiting for most companies to even make use of dual core right now.

Arcsalin
Emerald Rider

Post by Arcsalin »

Xest wrote:But it wont be a year, it'll be like 4years before quad core is really the norm where all applications make use of it, we're still waiting for most companies to even make use of dual core right now.
This I had anticipated. However it's hard to tell what the hell is going on hardware wise these days considering the amount of it that is released on a weekly basis. I pity software devs these days as they are bombarded with all sorts of specs per week. Just look at the insane improvements per week on GFX cards Oo! I even bet they employ peeps to look at average weekly comp specs so that they can aim for an optimum proggy worth running. No wonder things are done so badly in the commercial software market.
Mid Excalibur
Hib Pryd
Alb Stonehenge (I was there before teh cluster and gimps going from excal pryd cluster due to QQ - Noobs! :p )
Alb Camlann

.........far too many 50's to mention and no bb - hardcore gaming for a hardcore peep :)

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Arcsalin wrote:I don't like to waste good money, especially if the processor I was going to buy will be obsolete in like a year :(

The surest way to waste good money is to try to keep up with the latest technology.

For the money you would spend on a quad core now you could buy a Dual-core now AND a Quad-core in 12-24 months time! If you wait to buy the Quad-core in 12 months time you will be wondering whether to buy the Quad-core or wait for a 16-core CPU!

It's a never ending cycle, just need to pick a point to jump on.

Arcsalin
Emerald Rider

Post by Arcsalin »

Ovi wrote:The surest way to waste good money is to try to keep up with the latest technology.

For the money you would spend on a quad core now you could buy a Dual-core now AND a Quad-core in 12-24 months time! If you wait to buy the Quad-core in 12 months time you will be wondering whether to buy the Quad-core or wait for a 16-core CPU!

It's a never ending cycle, just need to pick a point to jump on.
Problem is, there never will be a good time to jump on :(
Mid Excalibur
Hib Pryd
Alb Camlann

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Arcsalin wrote:Problem is, there never will be a good time to jump on :(
Not quite true, almost any time is "as good as" any other time. The trick is to pick the right point at the time you jump on, and to not worry about what is coming more than a month or 2 in advance.

There is never a Perfect time to jump on, and it's the quest for perfection that really costs the money!

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

tbh, I'd say now is one of the best times to jump on. Dual core is mature enough as is 64bit, neither is a dated technology and these technologies have also reached a point of being rather inexpensive now. RAM is still cheap as ever and current graphics cards are far more powerful than any game actually needs to run at an optimal fps.

Arcsalin
Emerald Rider

Post by Arcsalin »

Xest wrote:tbh, I'd say now is one of the best times to jump on. Dual core is mature enough as is 64bit, neither is a dated technology and these technologies have also reached a point of being rather inexpensive now. RAM is still cheap as ever and current graphics cards are far more powerful than any game actually needs to run at an optimal fps.
That's quite true, although I don't have teh cash at this moment in time :S
Mid Excalibur
Hib Pryd
Alb Camlann

Return to “Tech Help”