Motherboards

A home for those technical problems.
Arcsalin
Emerald Rider

Motherboards

Post by Arcsalin »

Currently looking an upgrade for some time in the near future. But with all the specs of motherboards released almost daily. It's getting a bit confusing as to what specs I should be looking at for dual core processor that will handle gaming to the roxx point. Ofc i know the old adage, 'once bought twice depreciated'. But imo dual core processor is the wtg and should last nicely for a few years without the need for upgrade. So any recommended specs I should be looking at?
Mid Excalibur
Hib Pryd
Alb Stonehenge (I was there before teh cluster and gimps going from excal pryd cluster due to QQ - Noobs! :p )
Alb Camlann

.........far too many 50's to mention and no bb - hardcore gaming for a hardcore peep :)

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

AMD or Intel?

/Ankh

Arcsalin
Emerald Rider

Post by Arcsalin »

Either, difference seems so small atm.
Mid Excalibur
Hib Pryd
Alb Stonehenge (I was there before teh cluster and gimps going from excal pryd cluster due to QQ - Noobs! :p )
Alb Camlann

.........far too many 50's to mention and no bb - hardcore gaming for a hardcore peep :)

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Go for intel, its quite big difference atm. Ill check around for a good Daddyboard for you :)

/Ankh

Arcsalin
Emerald Rider

Post by Arcsalin »

xD
Mid Excalibur
Hib Pryd
Alb Camlann

Arcsalin
Emerald Rider

Post by Arcsalin »

Any luck Ankh?
Mid Excalibur
Hib Pryd
Alb Camlann

Arcsalin
Emerald Rider

Post by Arcsalin »

Ankh failed me :(
Mid Excalibur
Hib Pryd
Alb Camlann

Arcsalin
Emerald Rider

Post by Arcsalin »

FFS Ankh, you are such a tease, even worse than heta :p
Mid Excalibur
Hib Pryd
Alb Camlann

Reza
Emerald Rider

Post by Reza »

Arc if you wanna go for a C2D intel cpu, then the way i see it you have to decide from the following 3 chipsets;

1) Intel 975X
2) Intel 965P
3) New Nvidia 6 series (680i and 650i are out so far i think).

Some questions that can help work out what board to go for:

1) Whats roughly your budget?
2) To what degree do you want a board with good bios options for OCing and good reviews when it comes to OCing? (hi stable FSB reported etc)
3) Do you plan to use ati or nvidia gpu and do u plan to go sli/crossfire now or in future?
4) Do you plan to use some sort of raid configuration for your harddrives?

Arcsalin
Emerald Rider

Post by Arcsalin »

I just got wind that quadcore processors are otw, so now i dunno whether or not it is worth waiting rofl
Mid Excalibur
Hib Pryd
Alb Camlann

Return to “Tech Help”