Secure Shell question

A home for those technical problems.
<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Secure Shell question

Post by <ankh> »

What is SSH?
The SSH (Secure Shell) is a UNIX-based command interface and protocol designed to perform a number of functions, such as file transfer between computers, execution of commands on a remote computer, or logging on to a computer over a network. It establishes an encrypted connection between an SSH client and an SSH server.

How do I connect to my account by using SSH?
Firstly click on the Activate button to allow the Secure Shell access. Then choose the SSH password by typing it in both fields. In order to connect to your account via the SSH you will need an SSH client and the following logging details:

Host name:

any of your active domain or subdomain names, e.g. my-best-domain.com
Port:

22 (leave by default)
Login:

your hosting account username
Password:

the SSH password you have set in this section

How do I deactivate the SSH?
If you would like to deactivate the Secure Shell and disallow further access to your account, simply click on the Deactivate button.
Right, im new to this one so I was hoping somebody could explain it to me. Does this mean I can activate something like ... umm.. a Linux based ventrilo server on my domain and use it? Or am I totally wrong?

/Ankh

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Secure Shell (SSH) is a remote access facility, a secure version of Telnet.

What you can actually run on the remote system depends on that system, ssh would just be the means to install / configure / administrate what you run on that server.

I believe with Linux it is even possible to run a GUI over the SSH connection, but I am far from an expert, I have used it to run a Voice server, but that was a specific voice server, and ssh was the means to configure and run it.

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Mkay, well that text is from my domain provider so I guess its Unix. Ventrilo is (ive only used the windows server) just a small bat file I need to execute so I imagine the linux version is similar.

/Ankh

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

See if your provider allows any background processes and such, that's what you need to look for.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Cheers mate :)

/Ankh

Takitothemacs
Emerald Rider

Post by Takitothemacs »

think of it like a VPN (Virtual Private Network) tunnel... encapsulating all data from your computer (and other clients) to your server, it is possible to connect to more than one server at the same time using multiple VPN/SSH connections or a combination of different protocols (depending on bandwidth and firewall settings)

But as Xest says... it kind of relies on what your ISP or Host allows... most will open up the required ports on request if they are not already allowed... (which they are typically not by default)... they can also limit the SSH connections to specific IP addresses in the event that you want to ensure that only those IP addresses you specify can connect to your server.
Hib Pryd/Excal Retired
Littlefirby Lv51 ML9 CL10 Lurishade Thunderer

Mid Avalon - Retired
Cartilage - Lv 50 Bonedancer
Tigerstripe - LV50 Mauler
Xanidiu - Shammy BB

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Thank you very much for your Reply too Takito. I guess I better write an email to my supplies!

/Ankh

Arcsalin
Emerald Rider

Post by Arcsalin »

Takitothemacs wrote:think of it like a VPN (Virtual Private Network) tunnel... encapsulating all data from your computer (and other clients) to your server, it is possible to connect to more than one server at the same time using multiple VPN/SSH connections or a combination of different protocols (depending on bandwidth and firewall settings)

But as Xest says... it kind of relies on what your ISP or Host allows... most will open up the required ports on request if they are not already allowed... (which they are typically not by default)... they can also limit the SSH connections to specific IP addresses in the event that you want to ensure that only those IP addresses you specify can connect to your server.

Yep very true :)
Mid Excalibur
Hib Pryd
Alb Stonehenge (I was there before teh cluster and gimps going from excal pryd cluster due to QQ - Noobs! :p )
Alb Camlann

.........far too many 50's to mention and no bb - hardcore gaming for a hardcore peep :)

Return to “Tech Help”