Starcraft II

General discussion of other games, especially upcoming MMORPG's.
Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Luz wrote:Yeh Starcraft was the RTS of it's time imo, still a nice game also.

This however really looks like Starcraft 1 only new gfx? I mean same units and stuff

Some new units and the old units get "new tricks", so not just a gfx update. To be honest though I would still buy it if it was only a gfx update, I still think the original is one of the best RTS today and with modern gfx would be the best still.

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Yeah, Blizzard aren't going to change the recipe much. Starcraft was a major success, so they'll likely stick to that in terms of game rules for the most part.

Just look at the C&C/Red Alert series to see how the games, whilst still good, aren't as good as the originals due to the changes. I really am not keen on C&C3 as it's too close to C&C2, which in itself was too much of a move away from C&C1, it just got too futuristic, the charm of the original C&C was it was using modern day units with a bit of a futuristic but believable tint to it (i.e. Orcas). C&C2 and 3 might as well just be named FUTURISTIC RTS CLONE #3253212 or whatever. They also lost a lot of the really subtle stuff that was good about C&C1, for example the SAM sites dissapeared into the ground when they weren't about to fire, so what you could do was send in an orca to make the SAM pop up out of it's bunker then hit it hard with the ion cannon or some grenadiers and it would die like 100x faster than trying to kill it in it's bunkered form.

On the other hand however, about the only RTS that has survived changes to the rules and play style is the Warcraft series, Warcraft 1, 2 and 3 have introduced some pretty large changes at each step and they've all worked. Warcraft 3's storyline was also one of the best story lines I've ever seen in a game, backed up of course by some fantastic Blizzard style movie sequences. It's just a damn shame Blizzard couldn't carry their innovative skills in the RTS market over to the MMO market and prevent WoW from becoming, well, FANTASY MMO CLONE #574543.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

*b*
Emerald Rider

Post by *b* »

YAY about Time !
**Doac**
Bodica willowblade (Druid)
hellising alucard (nightshade)

**WoW**
Tankgirl (warrior)
willowblade (hunter)

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Ovi wrote:They may only have 3 games, but they are 3 of the very best games. They have also done a lot more in terms of after-release support and development than any other company.
I don't agree. Diablo is mediocre (the first one was good, but the second one was nothing special) Warcraft 1-2 rocked the 3rd one was just boring. And starcraft - well, tbh I bought it when it was released - I played it alot..but It's not THAT good. Their support is more than most companies, but not better than everyone else. So I disagree.

With their economy they should rather give their staff the option to try something new. If they are as good as you claim them to be they should have no problem comming up with new ideas. Blizzard is imo overrated.

/Ankh

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Starcraft 2 is going to net Blizzard millions in profit tbh so you're right, I'm not sure why they don't try new content.

I'd be amazed if Blizzard doesn't try something new after Starcraft 2, that money aint all going to profit and it can't all go to World of Warcraft - WoW makes more money for them than they spend on development by a longshot so that cashpile must be there for something!

I wouldn't be suprised if we see a Warcraft 4 at some point though tbh.

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

Xest wrote: WoW makes more money for them than they spend on development by a longshot so that cashpile must be there for something!

They prolly use it for what I would.
To put it into a large hole to swim in...

Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Xest wrote:Starcraft 2 is going to net Blizzard millions in profit tbh so you're right, I'm not sure why they don't try new content.

I'd be amazed if Blizzard doesn't try something new after Starcraft 2, that money aint all going to profit and it can't all go to World of Warcraft - WoW makes more money for them than they spend on development by a longshot so that cashpile must be there for something!

I wouldn't be suprised if we see a Warcraft 4 at some point though tbh.

I think you are right. I do expect something different from them soon, possibly World of Starcraft?

Everyone looks at the WoW pot of gold and says why haven't they done something with it, but how could they? I would imagine they delved deep into reserves and possibly sought a lot of investments to fund the development of Wow, so they may well be covering other commitments for a while.

Then you need to consider that the pot has only been filling up for 2 years, which is probably not enough time for Blizzard to find a new idea and develop it to the point of announcement.

Ankh:

We'll have to agree to disagree. Diablo 2 was a significant improvement on Diablo 1. The stand-alone game itself is good, I will admit not really special, what made it stand out, and still makes it stand out, is battle.net.

I really can't think of any other company that has supported their non-MM games as well as Blizzard.

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

A lot of people are expecting World of Starcraft but I'd be surprised if they made it to be honest - for the very same reasons that you touched upon, WoW took something like 6 years to produce, even taking out the fact they could borrow on much of WoW's server and client code, game design, development of a new MMO ruleset and production of countless assets will probably mean they're looking at a 4 year investment still minimum. I think they'll likely aim for something with a shorter time to market.

It's probably also worth responding to comments that Blizzard doesn't move away from their existing game types. I don't think realistically even if Blizzard does come up with some new IP that they'll move too far from the RTS market. Blizzard have more experience than anyone in their RTS/RTS-RPG hybrid style game types, it wouldn't make much sense for them to then try and compete in a market they're not used to, such as FPS games or Sports games etc. They succeeded in the MMO market because despite MMOs being round a while, the development time and lifetime of MMOs mean the market was still relatively young, young enough for them to get their foot in the door and compete well with a first attempt. It's for the same reason I'd be extremely suprised if Blizzard were to announce anything different from an RTS/RPG that I'd be absolutely stunned if id Software produced an FPS or an RPG! It's probably for the best also because the last thing we need is half-assed RTS from id and half-assed FPS' from Blizzard when we could have great FPS from id and great RTS from Blizzard!

expt
Emerald Rider

Post by expt »

It can then magically start the game with that map, updation and settings applied.It's that let's you select a map, a modification and some player settings.It does not need any AI changes or from a site like.

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

You are aware that you've been answering to really old posts....right?

Return to “Other Games”