DnL

General discussion of other games, especially upcoming MMORPG's.
Bebop
Emerald Rider

DnL

Post by Bebop »

Anyone else gunna be trying Dark and Light when its released :) ?

Official webby: http://www.darkandlight.net

FAq:http://www.stratics.com/content/portals ... ntent/faq/
Prydwen RETIRED..Might be comming back!
Hib
Bebop
Boppa
Bopper
Bops
Furse
Mid
Bebop
Latona
Bopps
Boppa

US
Bpm - RM
Eternul - BD
Tequila - Healer

Gahn

Post by Gahn »

Bebop wrote:Anyone else gunna be trying Dark and Light when its released :) ?

Official webby: http://www.darkandlight.net

FAq:http://www.stratics.com/content/portals ... ntent/faq/
Gonna slap u tbh lol
Gahn LoneWolf Celt Seraph Tiarna Prydwen
Na Fianna Dragun
Gahn Lonewolf Guardian [TDA] on Gunnar's Hold

Cernos
Emerald Rider

Post by Cernos »

Assuming it gets decent beta reviews, I'd probably give it a go - if for no other reason than collision detection. It'll be the first MMORPG with PvP that has collision detection between players (to my knowledge anyway) and whilst this raises a whole host of potential problems and abuses, it also opens up some exciting gameplay possibilities if they get it right.

Not so sure I like the fact that there'll be stealth classes using a detection radius system. As fun as stealth classes can be to play, the trouble is that in most MMORPGs it's stealth classes which screw up game balance, or lure those with a ganker/griefer mentality into the game.

Gahn

Post by Gahn »

Cernos wrote:Assuming it gets decent beta reviews, I'd probably give it a go - if for no other reason than collision detection. It'll be the first MMORPG with PvP that has collision detection between players (to my knowledge anyway) and whilst this raises a whole host of potential problems and abuses, it also opens up some exciting gameplay possibilities if they get it right.

Not so sure I like the fact that there'll be stealth classes using a detection radius system. As fun as stealth classes can be to play, the trouble is that in most MMORPGs it's stealth classes which screw up game balance, or lure those with a ganker/griefer mentality into the game.
Not exactly an mmporg but GuildWars already got collision detection.
Na Fianna Dragun

Cernos
Emerald Rider

Post by Cernos »

Gahn wrote:Not exactly an mmporg but GuildWars already got collision detection.
Ah, hadn't realised. How do they handle the possible abuses like people of your own side griefing by blocking off access to doors, huddling around quest NPCs and objectives preventing access, running you over with horses, vehicles or whatever, and all the other imaginative ways griefers manage to find to give regular players a hard time? I'm hoping in DnL they won't have collision detection between friendly players, only with the enemy in PvP areas.

Gahn

Post by Gahn »

Cernos wrote:Ah, hadn't realised. How do they handle the possible abuses like people of your own side griefing by blocking off access to doors, huddling around quest NPCs and objectives preventing access, running you over with horses, vehicles or whatever, and all the other imaginative ways griefers manage to find to give regular players a hard time? I'm hoping in DnL they won't have collision detection between friendly players, only with the enemy in PvP areas.
Well quest npcs ain't a problem cause of instances and all towns are neutral :p
In PvP it's quite a pain in the arse if played well cause they can actually force u to melee meleers while support and nukers happily nuke u, then again Guild Wars PvP it's instanced; so in a 8 vs 8 scenario if u engage 1 peep with 3 toons to block him in a corner u are prolly losing somewhere else ;)
Na Fianna Dragun

Bebop
Emerald Rider

Post by Bebop »

Gahn wrote:Gonna slap u tbh lol
/em bends over \o/

j/k :P

nah jus wanna try it & see what its like :) If it is good & better than daoc then i will prob leave daoc. But its months away yet & if i do decide to leave daoc i give you guys plenty of notice :)

But i guta say to what ive read & seen about dnl, it does look very promising, Love the idea of no CC (mezz/stun) in pvp :) & the gfx are 3rd gen & look very nice even in beta :)

I seen screenies of the nxt expansion for daoc with the so called "gfx update" & tbh i had to lol irl! :(

I know gfx only play a small part of a good game but i still like to see nice gfx in a mmorpg :) & tbh gfx in daoc are.... crap/old imo, even wit catacombs they still look like summit slapped up in MS paint, but the worse thing in daoc for me atm is the animation on chars..when you see other jumps they float in the air, when you see others stop they float for a while across the ground, when you see other turn while running they overlap e/other etc etc... & no it aint lag (at least from my end) & every daoc vid ive watched ppl have the same prob... didnt really bother me too much before, but then i played EQ2 for a while & all i can say is the gfx/animation (even on low settings) leave daoc way behind, everything is smooth, animation on chars is spot-on but as we know pvp on EQ2 is none existant atm which is why i returned to DAoC

But yup, i will def try DnL when its released :D
Prydwen RETIRED..Might be comming back!
Hib
Bebop
Boppa
Bopper
Bops
Furse
Mid
Bebop
Latona
Bopps
Boppa

US
Bpm - RM
Eternul - BD
Tequila - Healer

Cernos
Emerald Rider

Post by Cernos »

Bebop wrote:I know gfx only play a small part of a good game but i still like to see nice gfx in a mmorpg :) & tbh gfx in daoc are.... crap/old imo, even wit catacombs they still look like summit slapped up in MS paint, but the worse thing in daoc for me atm is the animation on chars..
Yep, good gfx aren't everything but they do add to the enjoyment and once you've tasted better gfx in another game (WoW, EQ2, CoH, SWG, GW etc) the DAOC gfx which once seemed ok suddenly seem very outmoded indeed. I never did like what they did with the character models in Catacombs anyway - the new faces make most races look like imbeciles (especially celt, norse and highlander males) and the body shapes and animations just seem awkward and wrong. Much preferred the old character models, simplistic as they were - bring back the old kobolds any day :D

Geralt
Emerald Rider

Post by Geralt »

If you call Planetside MMORPG, then there is collision detect too. Bad thing is, that it can be reaaal pain when dozen of people trying to get in and out of building :)

DnL isn't that much appealing to me, but might give it a try if there will be Beta or Trial. Otherwise i'll wait for opinion of people i know a bit.

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

Geralt wrote:DnL isn't that much appealing to me, but might give it a try if there will be Beta or Trial. Otherwise i'll wait for opinion of people i know a bit.
So pretty much just like me. It was btw nice news on Warhammer that it will be mostly RvR in it :) (they actually did say realm vs realm in the small interview).

/Ankh

Return to “Other Games”