Medieval II: Total War

General discussion of other games, especially upcoming MMORPG's.
Kesxex

Post by Kesxex »

You don't have to beat the scots first - just win a Grand Campaign and it unlocks all other factions.

Right now I am on my second campaign with the "bloody Germans" after the Spanish.

What makes this game even better is that if fully moddable and one of the best mods is Lusted's Land To Conquer. (http://www.twcenter.net for all interested in good mods.)

Mods play very differently than the Vanilla version. Especially with LtC or Darth's AI mod alliances really work.

In the vanilla version money is an issue - normally there is never enough to build everything needed in time, right now in LtC I have the trouble that time is an issue - it takes longer to build and money is easy to get by. Then again LtC plays 1 year per turn whereas vanilla is 2 years per turn.
"If you are not living on the edge, you occupy too much space!"

centurion
Emerald Rider

Post by centurion »

After investing large amount of time on Rome Total War I immediatly bought the Collectors edition package of MTW when it was released, been enjoying it so far, but there are some elements that really lessens the gaming experience. Like the AI, the AI is dreadful most of the time and especially in keep sieges it's just totally awkward. The computer is also behaving very irrational in the campaign mode. As the outmost powerful faction I often get declared war upon by small powerless factions because they want to blockade one of my ports for 1 turn. Also it is pointless to form any kind of diplomatic agreements such as alliance, because it has no meaning whatsoever.

That aside, the game is worth alot of fun. There is ALOT of units and eras, I also like joining Crusades and Jihads, but the rewards and aknowledgement for completing these holy missions aren't as great as I would like them to be. The graphic is eye candy, shame my computer would explode if I tried running it on full detail :).

When I first started campaign I played as The Holy Roman empire. Quickly expanded and won without too much trouble.

Second campaign I played as Denmark(pff, my own nation is a rebel nation -.-), quickly took control of scandinavia and then the british isles. After doing so my trade income skyrocketed and the rest was just an easy cruise to victory.

Not sure what to do now, been playing some RTW instead of MTW lately. I would like them to improve AI so the game becomes more challenging. They should also try improve multiplayer, the impression I've gotten from playing online is that there is too much lag and network problems.
Zephina
<Eclipse>

game over

Arcsalin
Emerald Rider

Post by Arcsalin »

Hmm, this is a game i would like to try very much. I will finish knights of the old republic the sith lords first tho. Old total war games were the roxx, just too bad they are limited in scope etc. Givf age of wonders 3 imo xD
Mid Excalibur
Hib Pryd
Alb Stonehenge (I was there before teh cluster and gimps going from excal pryd cluster due to QQ - Noobs! :p )
Alb Camlann

.........far too many 50's to mention and no bb - hardcore gaming for a hardcore peep :)

Kesxex

Post by Kesxex »

centurion wrote:I would like them to improve AI so the game becomes more challenging. They should also try improve multiplayer, the impression I've gotten from playing online is that there is too much lag and network problems.
Don't wait for CA. If you get Ultimate AI or LtC you will find that alliances work nicely.

centurion
Emerald Rider

Post by centurion »

Tried to install some mod that supposedly would improve diplomacy and computer behaviour. Totally screwed up the game for some reason, crashed every time I went to battle screen. Uninstalled and started reinstalling, but just discovered I have lost disc 2 -.-
Zephina
<Eclipse>

game over

Maeloch

Post by Maeloch »

Aye paul, not really looking forward to facing mounted archers later on with english army make up. Found out how OP mounted missle was in Rome with the british chariot units (which not really true to history, can be churned out and kite and butcher everything). Got the sherwood archers now anyhow.

Will try some of these mods later, AI can be as dumb as it ever was (stupid 2 unit garrisoning on frontier cities, stacks of armies roaming in middle of nowhere, units running back and forth under archer fire).

If I get taht far...competing with DAoC for playing and such endgame drag in these games, which normally starts for me about 1/4 the way in or having more than 10 territories.
Mael, 50th ment.

Kesxex

Post by Kesxex »

The only one thing that works against mounted archers is either a triangle of infantry or light cavalry. Light cavalry with their speed and hitting power is able to drive mounted archers either away or butcher them.
I have at least 2 light cavalry units in my marching armies (and in any rebel hunting army too) as they are very good in keeping routed enemy units running. As they catch lots of prisoners they gain quite a bit of experience thus making them worth more in the long term.
Just don't charge them head on into a spear wall.

Kesxex

Post by Kesxex »

centurion wrote:Tried to install some mod that supposedly would improve diplomacy and computer behaviour. Totally screwed up the game for some reason, crashed every time I went to battle screen. Uninstalled and started reinstalling, but just discovered I have lost disc 2 -.-
Try Lands To Conquer - it installs into its own directory and it runs aside from the normal game.

Another option is to use the mod installer at twcenter.net - it makes its own folder that you can populate as you wish. Trick is then to start medieval2.exe with the right config file.

Return to “Other Games”