Interesting - Mythic Shelving Imperator

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Cuchuluhain
Emerald Rider

Interesting - Mythic Shelving Imperator

Post by Cuchuluhain »

http://www.imperatoronline.com/pressrelease/

Gist, Mythic have decided that Imperator isnt shaping up to be a AAA title and are commited to only releasing games that meet that. Therefore with the acquisition of Warhammer online and the continued success of Daoc with its upcoming Darkness rising theyre stopping work on Imperator.

Translation.

Theyve realised pve wont work, people like the conflict, Daoc is their cash cow and Warhammer is going to be pretty much DAOC 2.

ps, told you so

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

PvE does work, wtf do you think Everquest is :p ? It's one of the biggest MMOGs out there still :p I think it's more down to the fact no one really gives a flying fuck about romans in space more than anything ;)
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Hroth
Emerald Rider

Post by Hroth »

Xest wrote:I think it's more down to the fact no one really gives a flying fuck about romans in space more than anything Image

How True Image
:) <<<<<<-- Default Smiley, Incase anyone takes anything I post too seriously :p

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

Aye, it's proberbly cos they started on the Imperator project before they got the rights for Warhammer and they proberbly ditched it now since they need more people on the warhammer project.

/Ankh

Luz
Emerald Rider

Post by Luz »

[quote="Xest"]I think it's more down to the fact no one really gives a flying fuck about romans in space more than anything ]

but I do, oh I really do! :<
Bah. Lv50s.
Animist, Bard, Druid, Enchanter, Nightshade, Vampiir

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

OMG!
ROMANS IN SPACE!!1!
How extremely ...
Zzzzzz Zzzzzzz Zzzzz
-
Paddock - L60 Male Man Hunter - SM Tailor
Moegren - L53 Male Man Captain - SM Weaponsmith GM Woodworker
Paddreth - L60 Male Man Minstrel - SM Jeweller GM Cook
Skyros - L57 Male Man Loremaster - SM Scholar GM Farmer
Pauncho - L60 Male Hobbit Burglar - SM Armoursmith
-

Dorin
Emerald Rider

Post by Dorin »

OohhoO wrote:OMG!
ROMANS IN SPACE!!1!
How extremely ...
Zzzzzz Zzzzzzz Zzzzz
"Do, or do not. There is no ’try’."

Yoda ftw m8s
Enchanter, Cabalist, Spiritmaster

Merino
Emerald Rider

Post by Merino »

[quote="Xest"]PvE does work, wtf do you think Everquest is :p ? It's one of the biggest MMOGs out there still :p I think it's more down to the fact no one really gives a flying fuck about romans in space more than anything ]

Hmm, take a look at MMOGCHARTS.com. The big games in the MMORPG market (even tho the webmaster freely admits his stats may not be quite up to date) are the Lineages and WoW. Lineage 2 has PvP and WoW introduced that element as well. Even the newest Everquest 2 Add-on has a PvP element, even though it's only in special Arenas (took that from ww.gamestar.de). And the big winner of the last few months (at least according to the German magazine Gamestar) Guild Wars isn't even included in the charts from MMOGCHARTS.com yet. Every MMORPG game introduced or announced lately has PvP elements, the PvE only games are clearly catering to a minority. Maybe it's still economically viable to develop PvE only MMORPGs but it seems game companies think different. I don't think it's the romans in space scenario which killed the game Imperator, it's the fact that it had been planned without PvP element. Cuch has hit the nail on the head.

Merino/Yeyi

Cuchuluhain
Emerald Rider

Post by Cuchuluhain »

Thank you Merino, you got the point.

Everquest is an 'old' school game and can still be griefed in and has arena combat, it however, does not have large scale PvP.

Large scale pvp is one of Daoc's strongest selling points. A purely pvp game coming onto the market will not attract as big a market share, in fact, one of the biggest bitchfests over guild wars is that it doesnt have pvp. Even City of Hero's has realised that and is bringing out City of Villans expansion to cater for PvP.

Whilst pure Pve and co-op servers can do well, their populations arent as high as the rvr ones. Pure PvP eg camlann doesnt appeal to the majority, mostly tho those whos balls havent dropped yet, as its not really that fun. But being able to go to a specific place with specific rules and brawl, that, is fun.

Look for Warhammer online to be Daoc2 in all but name.

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

Cuchuluhain wrote:Look for Warhammer online to be Daoc2 in all but name.
Maybe or maybe not, I seriously doubt they will only aim for PvP in warhammer (even though they should have a huge part since its alot about warfare) the PvE part of warhammer could and proberbly will be damn fun to play :)

/Ankh

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”