Clustering of English servers... are we getting a bad deal?

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Gandelf

Clustering of English servers... are we getting a bad deal?

Post by Gandelf »

Are we are getting a bad deal with clustering. Yes, it has its advantages, but in certain circumstances we will be denied freedom of choice to create characters in a specific realm.

If you currently play a Hib on Prydwen but don't have any characters on Excal, if you decide to create a character on Excal, then it must be a Hibernian also.

If you currently play a Hib on Prydwen and before clustering had a character on Excal Mid, or Excal Alb, then you will be allowed to play in opposing realms as long as you don't delete all the characters from one server. If you do delete, then you will only ever be able to create characters in the same realm on both Pryd and Excal.

Surely, this means that English players are now being given less freedom of choice in playing on different realms? Yes, I know there are servers in other languages and the PvP server, but if you only speak/understand English, then your choices could be severely limited to only one realm. Admittedly, the "Classic" server is going to be English, but that's no use if you want to play on the ToA client.

Furthermore, new players choosing the English servers won't have any choice at all! They will have to play the same realm on Excal and Pryd, if they want to play on the two English servers. Isn't this discrimination against new players? Surely they have equal rights to existing players?

Less freedom of choice! Should GOA should create more English servers to compensate?

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

had this discussion before gandelf

opening another server is a waste of time simply cuz we dont have the player base :(

New players have a choice i think - its just us old ones that dont.
Not sure tho - maybe someone can clarify that bit :)

Besides - Alb/mid smell - who wants to play there ^^
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

stupeh
Emerald Rider

Post by stupeh »

O_o. Cluster because of a low population, then open another server to provide a better choice? I wonder why they didn't think of this! :p
~

awarkle
Emerald Rider

Post by awarkle »

they going to be bringing out the classic servers soon enough and then you will have access to a new realm,

and nana mid and alb dont smell :(

(well maybe albion)

yes gandelf the whole picking a server and being stuck with 1 choice is a bit sucky (i never incude camlaan as its a sucky server). However the problem is if your not getting any new customers into the game then why continue to host two separate servers when you can instead cluster them provide people with more players to group with for both artis and mls. and provide a much bigger end game IE what rvr was all about instead of 1fg trying to find another 1fg while being shot by scouts and then proceeding to whine about it.

However its one of the reasons ive now got 50's on all three realms ive got a choice of hib mid and alb and although if anyone wants to do that now they would need to buy 3 accounts, but as you cant transfer stuff between realms anyways then there isnt much problem with activating and deactivating accounts on the goa site. Lisences are pretty cheap and easily activatable on 1 account. And as nana sort of pointed out most people generally pick 1 realm anyways there are only peeps like me (i like to kill my friends) who enjoy playing on all three.

However remember done everything in hib done most things in mid (wouldh ave done stuff in alb but never got a decent group) the game isnt geared for new players and never was, the classic servers will give any new players a chance to start playing the game from how we all started with no lvl 50's no lgm crafters no pve whores no rr10 peeps to kill us. Admitingly that probbly i swould say a week maybe 2 after classic servers go live we will see our share of rr5's.

Thats just life :P
Albion : Arod (tic) Ponies (cleric)
Midgard : Cavewark(sham), Augwark(healer), cursiara(warlock), mistieral(valkyrie)
Hibernia : Bastilia (vamp)
Albion (glast) : Zalasta (sorc) awark(wiz) mincer (minstrel) + others
DAOC E&E find me on any char for assistance.

Radu
Emerald Rider

Post by Radu »

I dont think classis servers will bring more new players, simple daoc is not today's mmorpg, and new titles are coming soon (vanguard, dark and light, etc).
One english server sucks, however, there is alot of english server in US, i heard :)
I really wonder , when will mythic get back the daoc license from goa, they have low numbers, imo they cant afford for long time now to lose money due the license.
Togusa the Mentalist

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Radu wrote:I dont think classis servers will bring more new players, simple daoc is not today's mmorpg, and new titles are coming soon (vanguard, dark and light, etc).
One english server sucks, however, there is alot of english server in US, i heard :)
I really wonder , when will mythic get back the daoc license from goa, they have low numbers, imo they cant afford for long time now to lose money due the license.

Mythic will probably never get the licence back. Daoc Will die before then, but we will all be playing DAoC 2 (aka Warhammer, yes I know they say it isn't .....) which I doubt Mythic will licence out in the same way :o

It's unlikely that Mythic will be too worried about losing Eu players, since the sooner Eu server die the sooner they can stop supporting the extra versions, which will become a "mill stone" once Warhammer get released.

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

/back on original topic...

I think Mythic / Goa missed a good chance to help the English speaking Eu population by not allowing the 1-cluster to have access to all 3 races, by creating a third English server in the cluster I think we could have had the best of a bad situation. It would've stopped the ability to split the server, but I think after a couple of months that will become almost impossible for Excal / Pryd anyway.

centurion
Emerald Rider

Post by centurion »

No more new English servers please, this is a bad idea because there is simply not big enough playerbase for it and the result would be further decline in the population on the current servers. Although I would not mind Prydwen and Excalibur getting unclustered :>
Zephina
<Eclipse>

game over

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

awarkle wrote:and nana mid and alb dont smell :(

(well maybe albion)
yea they do

admit it - thats why you really came back hibby :D
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter