GOA gives the big wavey finger

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

Xest wrote:Technically it's definetely possible to award extra time to individuals - it doesn't matter what PR stuff Requiel comes up with in regards to that, there's no technical reason it's not possible at all, it's basic database work.
I was told in writing by GOA that this is technically not possible. It is also technically not possible for them to reclassify an account which they have incorrectly categorized as German i/o English. Since this is all elementary database stuff this implies for me that either :-
1) They are lying, or
2) No-one at GOA knows any SQL, or
3) Their databases are not built according to any known professional databasing principles, or
4) All of the above.

None of which would really surprise me any more :p
-
Paddock - L60 Male Man Hunter - SM Tailor
Moegren - L53 Male Man Captain - SM Weaponsmith GM Woodworker
Paddreth - L60 Male Man Minstrel - SM Jeweller GM Cook
Skyros - L57 Male Man Loremaster - SM Scholar GM Farmer
Pauncho - L60 Male Hobbit Burglar - SM Armoursmith
-

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

OohhoO wrote:I was told in writing by GOA that this is technically not possible. It is also technically not possible for them to reclassify an account which they have incorrectly categorized as German i/o English. Since this is all elementary database stuff this implies for me that either :-
1) They are lying, or
2) No-one at GOA knows any SQL, or
3) Their databases are not built according to any known professional databasing principles, or
4) All of the above.

None of which would really surprise me any more :p
All your points are valid possibilities, all of them however still debunk the lie that GOA claim it's not technically possible, it doesn't matter what they say, it is - they just wont do it for some reason. Either that or Requiel simply misused the term "technically possible", perhaps "realistically possible with the resources we have" may have been better.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

Xest wrote:All your points are valid possibilities, all of them however still debunk the lie that GOA claim it's not technically possible, it doesn't matter what they say, it is - they just wont do it for some reason. Either that or Requiel simply misused the term "technically possible", perhaps "realistically possible with the resources we have" may have been better.
I think the 3 most likely real explanations are:-
1) "My techies tell me it's not possible & I don't know enough about it to contradict them."
2) "Considering the mess we recently made of one of our databases we'd prefer not to take the risk of touching one again just to sort out your problem, even though it was our fault in the first place."
3) "We can't be arsed."

I'd much prefer them to have told me they can't be arsed than to have kept beating around the bush with incorrect/incomplete RightNow answers. The database corrections would have taken 5-10 minutes to do IMO. Fobbing my RightNows off probably cost them 10 times that long.
-
-

Gahn

Post by Gahn »

OohhoO wrote:I think the 3 most likely real explanations are:-
1) "My techies tell me it's not possible & I don't know enough about it to contradict them."
2) "Considering the mess we recently made of one of our databases we'd prefer not to take the risk of touching one again just to sort out your problem, even though it was our fault in the first place."
3) "We can't be arsed."

I'd much prefer them to have told me they can't be arsed than to have kept beating around the bush with incorrect/incomplete RightNow answers. The database corrections would have taken 5-10 minutes to do IMO. Fobbing my RightNows off probably cost them 10 times that long.
Most likely real explanation is that they are saving money, "cleaning" English Servers from other country ppl in terms of free days ^^

Edit: note that i'm experiencing same problem.
Gahn LoneWolf Celt Seraph Tiarna Prydwen
Na Fianna Dragun
Gahn Lonewolf Guardian [TDA] on Gunnar's Hold

Norcott
Emerald Rider

Post by Norcott »

OohhoO wrote:The database corrections would have taken 5-10 minutes to do IMO. Fobbing my RightNows off probably cost them 10 times that long.
so what your saying is... if you havent mithered them with loads of RN they could have had more time to fix affected accounts... well yes i can see your point but wonders about where the point of blame lies on that .. hmm interesting .. :p you for mithering or them for answering..
Norcott - Ranger
Hibernian Dragon Slayers [GM]
Eyes and Ears Volunteer

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

Norcott wrote:so what your saying is... if you havent mithered them with loads of RN they could have had more time to fix affected accounts... well yes i can see your point but wonders about where the point of blame lies on that .. hmm interesting .. :p you for mithering or them for answering..
No what I'm saying is they could have saved themselves a lot of time by just fixing the problem 6 months ago when I first RNed it i/o repeatedly sending me RN answers with untrue content - like ... "You chose the german language option when you registered the account" ... Sorry? I selected the GOA webpage in english, despite which I was automatically redirected to the account-registering page in german. I never had a choice. Nowhere did it mention that the language of my IE would one day decide wether or not I would recieve compensation for yet another GOA SNAFU. I could have been living in England, I would still have had a german IE because my wife doesn't speak fluent english. Just one example among many I could bring. The entire chain of mails was one long comedy of misinformation.

Just change the language flag in the accounts database from a D to an E (or whatever) & it's solved.

Sometimes they seem to get off on unnecessarily making things harder for themselves IMO.

Anyway
[/hijack off]
[/rant off]
-
-

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

Tare wrote:Sod off with the promise already, starting to sound like a 10year old kid or a broken record.

Yes they did make a promise based on a list by Mythic. Reality caught up with them and it turned out that the information they based their promise on was flawed. That's what happens in the real world sometimes, get over it and stop crying.

Ofcourse it wasn't smart to make that promise, but they had to give the community something, because the DAoC community is a nice collection of whining crybabies who demand specific information.
I think youve just insulted half the forum with that post tare and yes i read the appology later on.

Fact is - when nothing has happened its easy just to turn round to peeps and say 'look stop winnging etc' but seriously how would you feel if you had dedicated 1+yr to actually getting your char perfect and for it to be gone and to have other friends playing their chars and asking if you can join the game and for you to have to say 'well i cant im kinda nakid' and having to wait over 1month + atm and to be promised (yes that word but tbh a promise is important to some people) that a major event on the server wouldnt occur until everyone was equal and for that speck of hope to keep you continually paying your subs (cuz i think if you close your chars dont get restored) and after this long long wait to be told that actually clustering WILL go ahead so god only knows when the time dedicated to actually fixing your char will occur cuz its almost guaranteed at least 1day downtime during clustering and it seems they only work 5 days a week anyway.

I think they have a right to complain dont you?
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Tare
Emerald Rider

Post by Tare »

Of course they have a right to complain as I admitted later and I agreed that the promise was a bad move, but bad things happen in reality and we just have to live with it. It's not fair on Requiel saying they are lazy, they worked 13hrs/day after the crash trying to help the community.
Ofcourse they did make some mistakes along the line, which are bound to happen. (Although GoA seems to make more mistakes than the average company :p)
Now, GoA assured everyone that clustering will not take their focus off the restoration process, and if they piss off a minority by breaking their promise, while on the other hand pleasing the majority of the people, then I believe that it's a justified step they're taking.

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

thing is tare

they now lied about not clustering before everyone is sorted.
Why should we believe the promise that clustering wont take the focus off character restoration?
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Tare
Emerald Rider

Post by Tare »

My rating is dropping faster than Monica Lewinsky, haha :p

Anyway nana, there is absolutely no reason for you to believe that clustering wont take the focus off character restoration, except for maybe the possibility that GoA has gotten it into their heads that they really really REALLY shouldn't c*ck this one up. That's probably the only reason you could take comfort in, that GoA, besides pissing off the minority that hasn't had their items restored yet, doesn't want to piss off people by c*cking up clustering :)

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”