Having played WoW...

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Gandelf

Having played WoW...

Post by Gandelf »

...three things I would like to see changed in DAoC:-

1. Interrupt reduced for casters. Interrupt is a killer in DAoC, especially when you're getting ganked. Casters should have less interruption of their spells. WoW is more "caster-friendly" and interruption only really increases the length of time before you successfully cast a spell... but you will cast it eventually. In DAoC if you get interrupted you have to start casting again... but you get interrupted again. Having played WoW and then coming back to DAoC, interrupt was the first thing that really annoyed me... I forgot how bad it was.

2. PvP enable/disable. In WoW, you can safely go about your business without the fear of getting set upon by the enemy. As long as you don't do certain things, like enter enemy cities or attack a player who is already PvP enabled or attack an enemy PvP NPC, you are safe from sporadic attacks. You can also enable PvP mode by typing a slash command. So basically, you choose when you want to PvP and you don't get insta-attacked by the enemy on sight. DAoC should be the same. You should be safe from enemy attacks until you enable PvP mode.

3. Get rid of the relics and the Frontiers. Relics are a bit "old-fashioned" now and don't really mean anything, in fact they are boring... especially now that they are harder to defend and capture. I think the frontier zones should be removed altogether and the homelands of Albion, Hibernia and Midgard opened up for all players from all 3 realms to travel freely... with certain areas as "no go" that would enable PvP if an enemy entered them (as in WoW).

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

1. Remove interupts. Are you kidding me? If you remove them you wont have a chance if your a non caster.

Edit: Just noticed you said reduce...but I still don't agree.

2. You are aware that prydwen is not a pvp server? If you dont want to get ganked - just avoid the frontier.

3. Get rid of the relics and the frontier and you will successfully destroy the only thing that makes daoc stand out of the crowd. The 'no go' area is the frontier...so not really sure what drug you are using atm..

4. If you want all the things you suggested - go to a coop server.

/Ankh

Killder
Emerald Rider

Post by Killder »

Daft ideas.

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

I agree with point 1, interrupt system is one of the main reasons I prefer WoW over DAoC.

I don't think points 2 and 3 are that good though. DAoC is a different game, on the standard servers PvE and PvP are seperated quite nicely by the frontier barriers, just as effective as any PvP flag imo. That is also why access to the other realms homes doesn't work.

For those points to work you would need to rearrange the server type to allow for it, something which Mythic are discussing, but tbh I think DAoC works best the way it is.

As to the RvR side, relics and RAs both need looking at, they are both capable of overpowering either individuals or realms, to such an extent as to unbalance play considerably.

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Ankh Morpork wrote:1. Remove interupts. Are you kidding me? If you remove them you wont have a chance if your a non caster.

Edit: Just noticed you said reduce...but I still don't agree.
Take a look at wow, non-casters still have a chance even with much less interrupts and loads of "Instant" spells.

I actually find interrupts most annoying playing healers rather than damage dealing casters anyway :)

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

Ovi wrote:Take a look at wow, non-casters still have a chance even with much less interrupts and loads of "Instant" spells.

I actually find interrupts most annoying playing healers rather than damage dealing casters anyway :)
Rangers get interupted too..and still I dont complain :)

Edit: but I do agree on the healer part, but still the enemies seem to heal fast enough..

/Ankh

Asysh
Emerald Rider

Post by Asysh »

1) Mastery of Concentration or... and this may shock a wow-person, teamwork and bodyguard :O

2) The whole idea of the game is one realm against another, so friendly-friendly wouldn't really work. Also you can play DAoC and never rvr quite happily if you so desire in your own realm. An evening or two of following a zerg (which even the most hardened pve-whore will enjoy) will get you enough RP's for some basic abilities which is all you need.

3) Relics and the frontier add to the epic-ness of the game, which is its main appeal to most people. No other game requires hoards and hoards of people to acheive its ultimate goals.

What doac REALLY needs from wow is items not breaking ;)
Asysh Eccos RR5 Valewalker, ML10 Battlemaster
Acysh KeKe RR2 Mentalist, ML3 Warlord
Asysh Timpatik RR6 Cabalist, Pre-ToA [deleted]

Luz
Emerald Rider

Post by Luz »

erh just go play wow ?
why make daoc -> wow ?
Bah. Lv50s.
Animist, Bard, Druid, Enchanter, Nightshade, Vampiir

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

Asysh wrote:1) Mastery of Concentration or... and this may shock a wow-person, teamwork and bodyguard :O

Yeah, I agree on this. Also, MoC might take some time to get but thats the cool thing about it :)
Luz wrote:erh just go play wow ?
why make daoc -> wow ?
Very very good point!

/Ankh

aegnor
Emerald Rider

Post by aegnor »

I have a cunning plan for those pesky interrupts.
Let's ask mythic to give casters insta lifetaps every 4s or so and pets that heal, then who cares if you get interrupted.
Or better yet, let them make casters that can insta kill anything with just a few keypresses, then you won't have to worry about getting interrupted because your enemy is dead already.
Problem solved. \o/
Aegnor Istaril
Elvish Barun
retired :<

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”