Daoc is gonna die?

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Grymligast
Emerald Rider

Post by Grymligast »

Cernos wrote:Servers cost money to run and maintain. Without any revenue from monthly subscriptions Mythic won't keep the servers running indefinitely. Yes they might for a period of time as a goodwill gesture (especially if DAOC 2 or Warhammer is doing well and they have lots of income) but eventually the plug will be pulled.

There is another possibility, that Mythic might release the game and code into the public domain, so that players could run their own DAOC servers. But the complexities (legal and technical) of anyone doing so will probably prevent this.

Take a look at Anarchy Online. They have skipped their monthly fee for some time now.

Cernos
Emerald Rider

Post by Cernos »

Grymligast wrote:Take a look at Anarchy Online. They have skipped their monthly fee for some time now.
Well sort of. It's only free if you play with the free client you download and you can't access any of the expansion content. What's more there's these T&Cs on their site:

You can play free of charge until January 15th 2007. Should Funcom deem that server load or other unforeseen events will lessen the experience for paying subscribers the offer will be terminated at our discretion. The free version does not include access to any of the three expansion packs. Should you wish to upgrade to any of the expansion packs monthly subscription and client fees will be added

Which kind of backs up my point. Running servers costs money. There's no free lunches. Offering a free base game is however a good way to get new subscribers paying, and DAOC should do this too.

Cryn
Emerald Rider

Post by Cryn »

OohhoO wrote:Assuming he's a complete idiot & still continues playing, he struggles through his 10-14 artes + 30-42 scrolls & levelling the Mofas, ports to Crauch & STILL gets WTF pwned by some RR10+ Sorc who /rudes him afterwards.
I think RR differential is my biggest gripe with the game today. There are many factors that make a group successful at RvR, including using voice, having the right classes and specs, etc, but RAs massively bias things.

When I read the latest survey about "What one thing would you like us to focus on" I would have picked "RvR", but to my horror the comment in brackets was something like "e.g. more rewards for RvRing". That really made me wonder if I play the game the devs think I do.

Actually ... I don't play it now I guess. The frustration outweighed the enjoyment and I left. I'd like to come back one day, though, and I can't see it happening until RvR becomes less tailored to high RR groups. Kes had the right idea. People who reckon they are so good at RvR should have abilities lessened. Then we'd see if it's true ;)
Peat Bog, Animist <Iron Wolves>
Cryn Twyn, Bard <Iron Wolves>
Tape Gob, Eldritch <Iron Wolves>

Inventor of the Lagapult™
House 3303, Cior Barr. Come Visit.

Now playing ... WAR on Karak Eight Peaks
Irony, Runepriest <NFD>
Sable, Witch Hunter <NFD>

Takitothemacs
Emerald Rider

Post by Takitothemacs »

Grymligast wrote:Support for the game etc will dissapear but aslong as there are any players left the servers will remain.
there has been support? cant say I had noticed tbh :P
Hib Pryd/Excal Retired
Littlefirby Lv51 ML9 CL10 Lurishade Thunderer

Mid Avalon - Retired
Cartilage - Lv 50 Bonedancer
Tigerstripe - LV50 Mauler
Xanidiu - Shammy BB

Poh
Emerald Rider

Post by Poh »

Cernos wrote: Even then, DAOC will decline, as all games must. You can only flog an ageing game engine for so long. So, the only real future is DAOC 2. Perhaps next time round Mythic will realise that the way you retain subscribers is by having a game which is compelling and vital, not by just throwing time sinks in the way of players.
The only future is Warhammer imo. Atleast i think there wont be a DaoC 2:

Q: Will there be a DAOC 2?

A: Over the dead body of all the people working on DAOC.

from this grabbag http://www.camelotherald.com/more/1867.shtml

well ofc you never know. I just think Warhammer will be the DaoC 2.
Pryd: Pohez 50Eld, Pohuz 50Vamp, Pohbot 50Druid
Glastonbury: Pohan 36Arms, Pohax 50Necro

Retired: US: Merlin/Alb, Lance/Hib, MLF/Mid

Cernos
Emerald Rider

Post by Cernos »

Poh wrote:I just think Warhammer will be the DaoC 2.
Yep, that's the most likely. They'll not name it DAOC 2, but Warhammer will probably have all the features you'd expect from DAOC 2, including some form of RvR system.

Sardine
Emerald Rider

Post by Sardine »

Dallanah really did prophesy the end, and the end is nigh!

All Hail, All Hail!
gone...

Seanpaul
Emerald Rider

Post by Seanpaul »

Sardine wrote:Dallanah really did prophesy the end, and the end is nigh!

All Hail, All Hail!
aint totally dead yet, some of us are still flogging it. must admit though i'm playing a theurgist now ankh1:bump:bump:bump:bump:gunz:
So open your mouth and stick to your guns. You've gotta realise that she's indifferent. Whoa-oh-oh-oh-oh what your name? just wont learn, here we go again.

Earendil
Emerald Rider

Post by Earendil »

Seanpaul wrote:aint totally dead yet, some of us are still flogging it. must admit though i'm playing a theurgist now ankh1:bump:bump:bump:bump:gunz:
Where Sean??
Earendil Halfelven, seasoned Eldritch.
Zakoraya Wildcat, Blademaster of Severance.

Lingering on Uthgard, the last stronghold...

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Nice to see people still enjoy good ol DAoC :)

Personally im playing LoTR online trial atm.

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”