The practice of adding (Spread the Love) - Stupeh ignore

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Sharkith

The practice of adding (Spread the Love) - Stupeh ignore

Post by Sharkith »

When two parties are engaged in combat should you attack or not? The practice of attacking and joining the fight is adding. As a practice it has all sorts of views arrayed around it so that when you add you might get the following responses:

“Hey don’t add FFS.” Or “What are you doing Noob!” “To phew! Thanks mate I thought I was done for there!” Or “ty we was going to get creamed by those nasty Mids.”

Disclaimer: You might think that the term 'Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game' refers to massive online battles raging between large armies arrayed on both sides of an arena. You of course were wrong. If you haven’t noticed that it is not like this then please wake up and smell the coffee. That was a marketing ploy most likely made up by someone who probably didn’t even play the game because she had a life. This does not mean that MMPORG’s are some feminist plot….. We digress.

So how do you decide when to add?

These guidelines for the practice of adding are designed as a friendly guide to try and help you decide when you should and should not add on a fight between fellow combatants. As a practice it only applies under certain specific situations and of course it has its exceptions. It will also be broken from time to time but the point is if you ‘add’ according to these basic guidelines we feel you will improve the gaming experience for your fellow players. Ok so when should one add?

The rule of adding applies freely under the following conditions:
1. when there are a large number of combatants ‘camped’ in the same zone you should add freely without hesitation. Where zone is defined in game terms as a location like Hadrian’s wall, Forest Sauvage or “Teh valley of Death” - Emain. ‘Camped’ refers to the practice of ‘hanging’ out around a bridge or tower by groups of largely unorganised players.
2. in the immediate vicinity of a siege, relic raid or tower capture add freely without hesitation
3. where there are odds of 2 to 1 or greater on one side of the combat and if you add you will even the odds, add without hesitation
4. where a support class is being attacked by a combat class

When not to add
a) if you see approximately 2 fgs fighting and conditions 1), 2), 3) and 4) above are not satisfied the practice of adding should be avoided
b) if you see two people fighting and condition 1), 2), 3) and 4) is not satisfied the practice of adding should be avoided

The grey bits
Like every well tanned holiday maker there are bits that remain white and somewhat embarrassing. This does not mean they are feminists because they too can have an all over tan. Once more we digress. Any practice will have grey bits and so tolerance is required. The practice of adding needs to be treated with care. It is therefore with this in mind that we would like to suggest that sometimes it will not be clear when to add and when not to add. This is because one of the conditions may not be totally apparent when the adding happened. If this is the case you might want to consider PM-ing the person involved in the incident and politely asking if you did the right thing.

Finally disagreements will occur adding at the wrong time will occur. Try to learn from these mistakes by talking about it positively. Let’s treat each other with respect so we can all come to Freddy’s house and spread the love.

Stupeh did not seem to like it but hey at least (s)he read it even if I think (s)he is a feminist
Na Fianna Dragun

Karak-Eight Peaks, Kiera ze Witch Hunter

Eve online - Kaminjosvig.

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

Well I know a lot of people aren't going to agree, but I've never been angry at someone for helping kill realm enemies.

RvR at low RR is usually very frustrating & everyone has to get their RPs & kick somehow. It ain't chess we're playing.

There's no such thing as a fair & balanced fight in DAoC so no point pretending there is IMO.

On the other hand, if I knew in advance that someone was duelling, or if someone asked me not to, I wouldn't add. Otherwise I probably would.
-
Paddock - L60 Male Man Hunter - SM Tailor
Moegren - L53 Male Man Captain - SM Weaponsmith GM Woodworker
Paddreth - L60 Male Man Minstrel - SM Jeweller GM Cook
Skyros - L57 Male Man Loremaster - SM Scholar GM Farmer
Pauncho - L60 Male Hobbit Burglar - SM Armoursmith
-

Elrandhir

Post by Elrandhir »

In a solo fight 1 vs 1, I would rather die then getting help/adds, same goes for when doing 8 vs 8.

Still this is one way of wanting to play the game, and other think different.
Elrandhir L50 Hero 7l7 Thunderer
Elthorian L50 6l7 Ranger Silverhand
Elthunder L50 4lx Eldritch
Elrandhira L50 5lx Druid BB
Elradah L50 Easymode Bainshee
Shimari L50 Animist
Ailanah L50 Enchanter
Vinterwolf L50 gimp Bard
<Crimson Tears> sweden:
(N)o (P)aiN (N)o (G)aiN

Thandruil
Emerald Rider

Post by Thandruil »

Some people still seem to forget what RvR means... Realm versus Realm.
Meaning Hibernia versus Albion versus Midgard. Simple as that.

I got my ranger i mostly solo with or duo, when i'm in a fight, and am loosing i rather have the other hibs helping me, instead of just standing there watching the fight till i die, then kill the enemy. When i c another solo Hib fighting and getting his arse kicked, i will add without hesitation and try to save his life. When the hib is winning, i will just leave them alone and let the hib have his rps since he did all the work anyway.

When playing my warden, or other class in a fg it kinda stays the same tbh, rather add on a fight, then let hibs die, and then kill the enemy. Cause tbh that gets frustrating for the dead hibs, especially when the other group runs off then without even rezzing.

The problem with most people is just the term "adding", some seem to use it lightly. For others it gives a reason to flame.
In a game like DAoC people shouldn't complain about adding imo. The idea was and still is Realm versus Realm. Not 8v8, there are other games u can have fights like that.

The whole "adding" idea and "rules" just give more rps to the high RR people and leaves the lower RR people behind, especially in 1v1, and even in 8v8. Which then results in RR12+ fg running around, and lower RR groups just trying to avoid them cause they know they have no chance of winning. And after a while people just give up.

This is a discussion which appeared on forums several times already, and tbh they stay pointless. Some will say adding is wrong, others will add on everything, in the end never forget that everyone pays the same for his subs every month, which gives him the freedom to do what he wants and expects from the game.

Some will always call u wanker for adding on a fight, while others will hug u.
Some will never forget ur name cause they hate u for adding, while others might become ur friend cause u saved them.
For me it's just important i know the hib won.
Thandruil lvl51 Elf Ranger RR6L3 ML10 CL5 :thand:
Thand lvl51 Warden RR6L5 ML10 CL5:wave:
Vanara lvl50 Animist ML10
Extreme lvl50 Blademistress ML10

GM of Fallen Spirits :ranger:

Retired from DAoC now and started BF2142!

Elrandhir

Post by Elrandhir »

It is, but you wont really help the realm by adding/helping so I don't agree, when keep defence etc I agree that the realm vs realm fits in.

Still as I have said in the earlier post, it's up to eatch person how he wants to play, but I never have thought that the 'For the realm' reason is the thing to blame, because you don't achive anything for the realm in situations like that.

[Edit ftw]
Still I see your point in wanting to help a friend, still I want to respect others who want to have 1 vs 1 by not adding, and same goes for 8 vs 8, so if your friend why not, still even my friends don't want this, so I couldent add even if I wanted to =P

I don't care to much if people do add on me, even though it's annoying and I think well done, I would never make a thread of it as it's nothing to talk about, still I will respect others and maby they will do the same to me.
Shimari L50 Animist
Ailanah L50 Enchanter
Vinterwolf L50 gimp Bard
<Crimson Tears> sweden:
(N)o (P)aiN (N)o (G)aiN

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

People have been asking Mythic to make a 1v1 BG &/or an 8v8 BG for years so they don't have to "suffer" the zerging & adds of RvR, but Mythic apparently wants Realm versus Realm to be just that - a large-scale thing - so if you expect people not to zerg or add your vision of the game is probably not the same as Mythics.

If you want zerg & add-free PvP or 8v8 in DAoC it's probably best to keep petitioning Mythic for the appropriate BGs, as they seem in the mood to give people what they're asking for ATM, but if they still don't make them then you're probably just barking up the wrong tree.

If you pay your subs you can play however you want IMO, but criticizing people for playing RvR as oppsed to 1v1 or 8v8 seems somehow pointless in an RvR game.
-
Paddock - L60 Male Man Hunter - SM Tailor
Moegren - L53 Male Man Captain - SM Weaponsmith GM Woodworker
Paddreth - L60 Male Man Minstrel - SM Jeweller GM Cook
Skyros - L57 Male Man Loremaster - SM Scholar GM Farmer
Pauncho - L60 Male Hobbit Burglar - SM Armoursmith
-

Thandruil
Emerald Rider

Post by Thandruil »

Elrandhir wrote:It is, but you wont really help the realm by adding/helping so I don't agree, when keep defence etc I agree that the realm vs realm fits in.

Still as I have said in the earlier post, it's up to eatch person how he wants to play, but I never have thought that the 'For the realm' reason is the thing to blame, because you don't achive anything for the realm in situations like that.
U can't actually believe it's better for ur realmm8s to die than to help do u?

Elrandhir

Post by Elrandhir »

Thandruil wrote:U can't actually believe it's better for ur realmm8s to die than to help do u?

If this is the way I know he wants it I wont add, goes for anyone else also, that is if I know they do the same.

Still I don't add on any fair fights, but my reasoning is the above.
Shimari L50 Animist
Ailanah L50 Enchanter
Vinterwolf L50 gimp Bard
<Crimson Tears> sweden:
(N)o (P)aiN (N)o (G)aiN

Thandruil
Emerald Rider

Post by Thandruil »

Elrandhir wrote:If this is the way I know he wants it I wont add, goes for anyone else also, that is if I know they do the same.

Still I don't add on any fair fights, but my reasoning is the above.
Fair point, but u can't always know imo, especially not in a 1v1 fight which take about 10secs for one of em to die.

Elrandhir

Post by Elrandhir »

Thandruil wrote:Fair point, but u can't always know imo, especially not in a 1v1 fight which take about 10secs for one of em to die.

no I can't but I just wont add, thats always my policy, and I have never got any complaints by acting this way, on the other hand if I would start to add on all fights =P
Shimari L50 Animist
Ailanah L50 Enchanter
Vinterwolf L50 gimp Bard
<Crimson Tears> sweden:
(N)o (P)aiN (N)o (G)aiN

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”