Ventrilo Service

Forum announcements and other general information
Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

Aye, its easy to set up your own Ventrilo server...but I kind of like using the prydwen.net one..cos when the rvr is done you just switch to a public one (ofcourse its not much work to swap server anyway..but still!)

/Ankh

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

Tbh I *think* it's better to have a server like prydwen.net as else the pc with the server will be sending the sound to 8 different persons instead of just to the server. (if thats how the program works..I would guess your sound sends to the server and the server spreads it to the other people in the channel)

/Ankh

Quinlan

Post by Quinlan »

Ankh Morpork wrote:Tbh I *think* it's better to have a server like prydwen.net as else the pc with the server will be sending the sound to 8 different persons instead of just to the server. (if thats how the program works..I would guess your sound sends to the server and the server spreads it to the other people in the channel)

/Ankh
Ankh,

Prydwen.net basically also is a PC with a server on it installed. For performace issues and the way it works it doesnt make a difference if you run from your home pc or from pryd.net. The only thing that matters is your connection. Dont expect to run a vent server flawlessy on dial-up
finland:
holland:

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

Quinlan wrote:Ankh,

Prydwen.net basically also is a PC with a server on it installed. For performace issues and the way it works it doesnt make a difference if you run from your home pc or from pryd.net. The only thing that matters is your connection. Dont expect to run a vent server flawlessy on dial-up
I know, but I mean the game might not lag as much for you if you send/recieve to another server unlike when you host the server yourself. For example, if I send a 10kb file to a server and let it distribute it to 10 other people I use less bandwidth than if I send to those 10 people on my own...I guess anyway :) (cos that would mean 10x10kb if im not all wrong)

/Ankh

Quinlan

Post by Quinlan »

Ankh Morpork wrote:I know, but I mean the game might not lag as much for you if you send/recieve to another server unlike when you host the server yourself. For example, if I send a 10kb file to a server and let it distribute it to 10 other people I use less bandwidth than if I send to those 10 people on my own...I guess anyway :) (cos that would mean 10x10kb if im not all wrong)

/Ankh
Basically your right yeah. But if you have a 1mbit or more connection at home running a ventrillo server for 8 people on your connection shouldnt impact your performance game wise (if you limit the pron download :p).
finland:
holland:

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

Quinlan wrote:Basically your right yeah. But if you have a 1mbit or more connection at home running a ventrillo server for 8 people on your connection shouldnt impact your performance game wise (if you limit the pron download :p).
I've got 24/1mbit. Yeah, I know with 8 people but still. It's a nice idea to have one like prydwen.net too as you can get a chance to talk to others apart from the ones you got in your group.

/Ankh

Quinlan

Post by Quinlan »

Ankh Morpork wrote:I've got 24/1mbit. Yeah, I know with 8 people but still. It's a nice idea to have one like prydwen.net too as you can get a chance to talk to others apart from the ones you got in your group.

/Ankh
Personally i like a prydwen.net server alot more too yeah. Easier to communicate with others instead of having to switch servers. In the Tenpit time of the forums we had one too for a pretty long time.
finland:
holland:

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

Quinlan wrote:Personally i like a prydwen.net server alot more too yeah. Easier to communicate with others instead of having to switch servers. In the Tenpit time of the forums we had one too for a pretty long time.
Exactly, I just hope people start to use it :)

/Ankh

Ayana

Post by Ayana »

After reviewing the bandwidth usage since putting up the Ventrilo server, I think it's safe to accept more guilds onto the server if there's a need for it. So if your guild is in need of a Ventrilo channel, send me a PM.

Please don't ask me to create a channel unless you intend to actually use it.

Heta
Emerald Rider

Post by Heta »

Make a Ascending Dawn channel and I shall start using it :)

btw.. anyone ever tried using vent when doing ml's? having 1 person from each group in vent for easy communication?
Woho! I got a 360 \o/

Return to “Announcements”